High School Prom

by Larry 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Prom was absolutely forbidden in my congregation. My older sister went because her best friend was on prom court. Both of them were JW's. My parents were really upset by it, but my sister's friend's grandmother, with whom she lived and who also was a JW, was completely in support of it. The elders in my congregation found out about it afterwards and everyone got talked to. So by the time it was my turn for prom, there was no chance in hell that I was going.

I snuck out to my homecoming dance my junior year in high school and my mom figured it out and actually came to my dance, walked right into the middle of the dance floor where I was, and dragged me out of there. As you can imagine it was a devastating and humiliating experience for a teenager of 16 who is already having a hard time fitting in because of her religious differences.

Actually when I got home that night (because I got in a huge fight with my mom and refused to go home with her; she only finally left because I promised to come straight home, which I did NOT do, I was so angry!) there was this letter in my bedroom from my mom that said all kinds of nasty things, that she didn't know who I was, that she couldn't believe how deceiving and manipulative and conniving I was, that she didn't know what she did wrong as a parent to have her daughter turn out this way, that she could never trust me again, that I clearly lied to everyone about who I was when I got baptized...it was devastating to read it and still stings when I think about it.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I got several invites...not from brothers...lol

but was not allowed to go to my senior prom or any other dances. However, everyone of my JW friends got to go, and I was allowed to go over one of the girls houses and help her the some girls get ready for the prom. Most had worldly dates.

Also...my dad gave a Sunday talk about Proms, dances and other worldly associations...

lisa

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    I didn't go to graduation either. You should ask that question next.

yes...ask that question next...

lisa

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I went to both my Jr. & Sr. Proms. Had to double date (no dating alone allowed by my parents) I graduated in 1969. I wasn't allowed to go to any other school dances though.

Coffee

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I went to one party through my whole high school years. It was fun, but I was too chicken to stretch the rules in public like that.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My Senior Prom was 1979 and new information had just come out at that time about how good little witless children would not attend such parties. So no for me In our hall now a couple of years ago a young brother wanted to attend with a girl from school......the elders were on it like that. They advised his parents to call it off and threatened to take away all priviledges from him . So the week of prom he had to let his date down . I felt so bad for him and her . The next year when my son wanted to go I just told him not to tell anyone at the hall , and just go have fun ( within reason ) I did lecture him about don't fall into temptation like sex or drinking . This past weekend my youngest attened Prom with all the fanfare , pictures , girlfriend , dinner out , and all nighter at a friends house . He had a blast and my husband and I enjoyed watching him be so happy .

• Nikita
    Nikita

From a post I made a few years ago:

One of the things I longed to do as a teen was attend a prom. I dreamed of one of my jw "crushes" asking me, but it never happened. But, I did have an old school acquaintance ask me in Senior high. I had known him since 3rd grade and in fact in the 3rd grade he was my "boyfriend." He was a sweet guy. I went to Phila. High School fro Girls he went to Central High (for boys) right down the street from me. So we often ran into one another at the bus stop.

I was totally stunned when he asked me to his prom! But, as you can imagine, being a good JW gal, I had my nice pat answer for him, "Well, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and as such, I don't believe in dating someone unless I might be ready for marriage."

I can still hear myself saying those words! I can still see the look in his eyes-was it a look of disappointment/hurt/disbelief that someone he'd thought he'd known could render such a reply? It is a sad memory for me and this time of year gets me to thinking about him. I know he is a grown man now with perhaps a family of his own, but in my mind, he is still that 18 year-old sweet, nice-looking fella who I turned down.

Leslie aka Nikita

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

No prom for me....

Basically - go to school - get educated - get home.

wow, Jim_TX... I wasn't even supposed to get educated; I was only supposed to make good grades, as to not bring reproach on jehoba's name... as for everything I was taught at school would be useless in "The New System"

• lucifer
    lucifer

I've heard some people say they went, but it was frowned upon...lol let them frown all they want, I went to my prom and I had a great time, spent way to much on a dress, made and changed plans with my girlfriends for weeks in advance, stressed about my hair and makeup and had my prom date ready but had to change dates last minute, drank way to much at the after party haha but it was something I'll never forget. But I wasn't a witness when I graduated, but my childhood friend who graduated same year as me didn't get to go to prom, but her family was big on "partying" and threw her a dance, which is nice I suppose, with all those good little dubbies...

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I was still studying, and the individual who was studying with me discouraged me from going. "Who are you going to go with, some worldly person?" So, I didn't go. Then I found out that this same person WENT to the prom, with another witness. So, more hypocrisy, I suppose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit