The Story of Adam & Eve

by LaCatolica 28 Replies latest jw friends

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

I learned that the story of Adam and Eve was exactly that, 'a story'. I remember learning that in my religion class in High School. I learned that the Old Testament was filled with tales and that none should be taken literally because these were stories of oral tradition. Now, I personally don't think Adam and Eve really existed. Their whole story in the book of Genesis, "fall of man"...has way too many inconsistancies that just don't convince me. Many people believe this is true and of course, JWs will give you a whole dissertation on why this story 'really happened'.

Adam and Eve are two fictional characters put in the Bible by its writers "inspired by God" to teach us a moral lesson.

What do you all think?

• Mr. Kim
  • gumby
    gumby

I see MR.Kim has the day off to play with funny emoticons.

If Adam and Eve were fictional.....then so is Jesus.....since he spoke of them when he stated that god made them to be a pair. Why would Jesus use an old tradition to teach his diciples? He supposedly only taught truth.

Gumby

• jstalin
    jstalin

I went to catholic school and we were taught about the same thing - Adam and Eve were a story with a moral, not necessarily literal people.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

LaCatolica:

Adam and Eve are two fictional characters put in the Bible by its writers "inspired by God" to teach us a moral lesson.

It's fiction, that much is a given. To me though, it seems as if the writers literally believed it to be true. A whole genealogy was invented around the characters. Also, it doesn't contain anything I'd consider to be a useful moral. It reads more like a just so story explaining why man's lot is such a difficult one.

• gumby
    gumby

I especially like the part where it says......." and Adam layed with Eve and produced a son"

...* starts gettin all flaccid again*

Gumby

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I believe there was a first man and a first woman and that they sinned - names and places don't matter so much to me. So on that basis you could probably put me in the category of the Adam and Eve episode being a myth containing moral truth.

Who is to say whether or not Jesus taught about Adam and Eve in this way too - if so then he was teaching truth.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Are we inferring here that the story of Adam and Eve was actually created by the talking snake and handed down from generation to generation by a successive line of snakes ?

Rub a Dub

• Tea4Two
    Tea4Two

I'm curious.....If the catholic church believes Adam and Eve are a Myth? Where do humans come from in their opinion?

• jstalin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit