Special Field Service Campaign at DA

by limbogirl 40 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

You are right Sir 82. Especially w/the gas prices. And then get there to hear talks about how bad "worldly people" are.

What a slap in the face.

Juni

• TheListener
    TheListener

Yeah, it was kind of fun. At least you'd get an afternoon off from sitting in a stuffy auditorium and losing brain cells. Out meeting people who lived in the convention city. I remember hearing that the practice stopped because A) it didn't drum up much business for the DC and was difficult to organize, and B) it was not well supported after the first year or two it occurred. It seems that once the friends knew the drill and it wasn't new and exciting they took the afternoon off to attend the hotel pool.

Maybe after this year's plan doesn't work they switch back to the old plan. Although I don't think they can because now they have the conventions in smaller cities and dividing up the smaller cities to 3 or 4 convention weekends would get to be a logistical nightmare.

• juni
    juni

As you said it was a logistical nightmare.

And that was the Milwaukee County Stadium presently named Miller Park.

Juni

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I remember doing it in 1985 montreal international assembly

IT was a 4 day assy and 1/2 day devoted to preachy

• White Waves
    White Waves

Yes, we were in a terrible neighborhood in Chicago, Il area. My father was terrified for us and we stayed together as a family. He kept praying over us. It was all public housing, gangs and we were personally attacked. I will never forget. I was so scared and angered that he put us in that situation, believing that God would protect us, when we entered the situation so willingly. The bible tells us we have to have some responsibility for ourselves. Solely expecting God to save us, is not the way of the Bible.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

his was done again in 1981-1986, then it abruptly ended.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I vaguely remember doing something like this in the mid-80's. I was only 6 - 7 at the time, and have sucessfully repressed the memory. I vaguely remember the 4 day conventions too! Basically, the 4 day convention was really 3 days (thursday was 1/2 a day, and friday afternoon was spent out in "service").

I'd be shocked if the District Conventions don't drop to 2 days in the near future.

-silent

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I remember that they used to do this in Australia as well. Friday afternoon witnessing to invite people to the Sunday session. We never participated because mum couldn't navigate the streets of Sydney. Hurrah!

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

As a youth I even wore those stupid sandwich boards with the PT advertised on 'em. Must have looked totally stupid.

I remember an old guy angrily yelled at me "You people were locked up during the war and you still should be locked up!!!"

Too bad he was right!

Pope-ee-o

• juni
    juni

White Waves - That DA was in Cicero, IL We came into our hotel room and drew the drapes and there's a few bullet holes!! We left early that DA as my husband had a migraine from the pollution.

silentWatcher - When we first came in the DAs were 5 days long. With little kids it was hellish. They did like the dramas though because then they had fancier sets and costumes. And we used to have delicious hot meals. We had to stand like cattle at wooden bar-type tables, but we appreciated all that the bros. did for us.

Juni (that's a chunk of cheese on my head, not a halo)

• blondie
    blondie
    I'd be shocked if the District Conventions don't drop to 2 days in the near future.

I noticed that the attendance was significantly lower on Fridays....the WTS said it was because people were not asking for Friday off soon enough. I imagine Friday may disappear though the ipso facto measure.

*** km 1/00 p. 1 Will You Be There? ***

Last year at some of the "God’s Prophetic Word" District Conventions, however, the attendance on Friday was substantially less than on Saturday and Sunday.
    Do Not Let Secular Work Interfere: Concern about jeopardizing one’s employment may be the reason why some did not attend on Friday.

*** km 12/99 p. 4 2000 "Doers of God’s Word" District Convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses ***
    Sadly, many brothers and sisters and their families are missing out on vital spiritual food. How? By not attending the Friday district convention sessions

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit