Special Field Service Campaign at DA

by limbogirl 40 Replies latest jw friends

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

I have this memory of going to a DA back in the mid to late seventies -- I was about 8 years old -- and there was a special field service campaign. Seems to me that one of the assembly days was shortened and everyone was given a service kit -- some tracts in a plastic bag -- and everyone was to go out and preach for the remainder of the afternoon. I remember going with my dad to get in line to pick up the bag of tracts and then going into the neighborhood around the stadium to witness. Does anyone else remember this?

• sir82
    sir82

I remember!

It was in 1978. I was just a lad. We went to some neighborhood around the Pontiac Silverdome.

As I recall, I didn't much care for it.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember that....the idea was to get JWs to invite people to the convention. They did it for a few years, during the time they had 4 day conventions.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I recall this also. It was during one of these field service campaingns that I was educated on the Armenian Genocide.

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 5/80 p. 4 1980 "Divine Love" District Conventions ***

SPECIAL

AFTERNOON FIELD SERVICE: Over 46,000,000 people live in the immediate vicinity of the 102 "Divine Love" District Conventions in the United States. What better way would there be for us to display our loving concern for these millions of individuals than by putting forth a real effort to share the Kingdom message with them as part of our convention activity? To that end, Friday afternoon has been set aside for special field service. Since the program is scheduled to conclude by 1:00 p.m., it should be possible for those in attendance to get something to eat at the convention site, get organized into groups and be in the field by about 2:00 p.m. Various features of field service will be arranged and it would be most fitting for elders and ministerial servants to serve as captains of groups. Each one should bring a witnessing bag and current magazines together with his Bible. Anything additional, along with further details about the afternoon’s service, will be announced at the convention. We feel confident that the content of the morning’s program will make you eager to share in the field activity Friday afternoon.
  • candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i remember.. i was a 8th gradeish country girl.. city street witnessing with just teenagers supervising.. an old man about beat the crap out of me with his umbrella or cane..i forget which.

i never street witnessed ever again lol

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

thanks for confirming my memory!

• sir82
    sir82

Is it just me, or does the Society's old idea (take a Friday and invite people around the DC location to Sunday's talk) make about a billion times more sense than their campaign for this year (3 weeks in advance of the DC, invite people who live anywhere from 50-300 miles away form the convention site to make the 1 to 6 hour one-way trip to listen to the assembly)?

• juni
    juni

Yes, I too remember this. We were working in territory I believe in Milwaukee where all of the "DIVINE" named district assemblies were held. It was at Milwaukee's baseball stadium. Can't remember its original name.

Juni

• blondie
    blondie

This was done again in 1981-1986, then it abruptly ended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit