What "Rules" Did You Have In Your Congregation?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

In our congregation, we had a Theocratic Ministry School Overseer make the sisters stand while giving their talks because he would counsel them on a point of counsel having to do with speaking to the "householder". (I forget that exact point of counsel) So the sisters knew they had to follow this imbecile's quirks or get a "W". Another rule that was eventually abandoned too, was that only elders and ministerial servants could offer prayer at the Kingdom Hall......Any rules that you had to deal with???

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The sisters were luckier than the brothers regarding rules. We could wear just about what we liked as long as it was reasonably modest, but I have known brothers be counselled for removing their jackets even when it was stiflingly hot, and of course the no beard rule was rigorously enforced.

• juni
    juni

"Thou shalt sit in the front row whenever possible."

There were soooooooooooo many, but that comes to mind.

• blondie
    blondie

min, I take it there were no sisters in wheelchairs in your congregation?

• vitty
    vitty

Actually, ours was a pretty good congregation on the whole. The PO was normal and kept the other idiot elders at bay.

• blondie
    blondie

Rules peculiar to that congregation? Elders were allowed to make rules like that. I tended to be in the more 'liberal' congregations that drove the other congregations nuts by refusing to let them use the CO to browbeat them.

Such as mustaches, not allowed by all BOEs in one circuit except one congregation; the brothers with mustaches changed to that congregation making the others angry.

Requiring the public speaker to wear a white shirt, ended up with only one congregation in that circuit doing that; the talk coordinators in the other congregations would remind the brother going out to speak at that congregation.

Blondie

• vitty
    vitty

God that white shirt rule.

Its now held up as something you shouldnt do. They always give it as example on how not to make up rules. They chortle and smile on the platform with that red herring. All the while the WT make up thousand of REAL rules they are to follow

Its a iron grip they dont want anyone on else to have.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

"Make 'nice' to people, then gossip behind their backs as fast as you possibly can" and "Don't practice for your part on the School if you can help it."

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Brothers had to wear their suit coat jacket or no privileges

• minimus
    minimus

No wheelchairs at that time, Blondie. That rule about sitting in different seats. We were told not to sit in the same seat at the Hall every week. Like who gives a sh*t?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit