Accepting your mortality sets you free from JWism.

by Spectrum 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

It was a depressing feeling when I realised I was actually going to die like everybody else. Who me, die? No chance. I have my JW last days trump card.

When this realisation eventually hit me a drepressing feeling came over me and an attempt at denial but to deny it meant going back to the JW ark as it was the only way to live forever.
    And that is the key point here. Anybody that tries to escape must simultaneously give up their immortality and that is something very hard to do. After all turkeys don't vote for christmas.
    Looking at it from this angle it is understandable why they have such a strong hold on intelligent people. They deny their intelligence and wisdom to deny death. I think it is that simple.

I was lucky because i just stopped going and it wasn't until years later that it had occurred to me (depressingly so)that I was actually going to die by which time I'd given up on the idea of ever being involved with them. Had this realisation hit me sooner the time I stopped going to their meetings it might have sucked me back in again.

Anybody agree

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

I agree - the promise of everlasting life is a powerful one. Above and beyond that, due to the constant "the end is right around the corner" bs, alot of younger people tend to think that they will be "young forever".

I know that the realization of mortality was especially hard on a dear friend of mine who exited at the same time I did. She had really bought into the whole idea and was a dedicated JW until circumstances revealed how unloving and cruel the organization can be.

I, on the other hand, never thought I would be good enough to make it through Armaggedon. So I always figured I was going to die anyway. Thus, the transition was easier for me...

In fact, I "gained years" by leaving the Witnesses. As opposed to being convinced that the end was coming any time now and that I was going to be executed, I can now look forward to long, happy (hopefully) life!

• daystar
    daystar

Absolutely. The acceptance of your own mortality after being told from childhood that you'll live forever in paradise... well, it is exceedingly difficult.

Many people just pop into some other happy-making paradigm to take its place. I mean, if you aren't going to live forever on earth, you may as well live forever in heaven, or reincarnate forever, right?

What if they're all just made up stories?

• scrubmaster
    scrubmaster

What if there is a hope for everlasting life -- does it have to be an all or nothing proposition?

• Emma
    Emma

This is what sucked my mom and grandma in; they were both terrified of death.

My mom still is, it's so sad. Grandma went 40 years ago and my mom is elderly and frail. So sad.

It's not a love of god and whats right but fear that draws and keeps them in.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I don't remember a time when the idea of my mortality bothered me. I think it is because so many of my best friends were in their 80s and quite a few died before I turned 10. They didn't seem particularly troubled by the fact they would die.

But I know a lot of Witnesses who seem inordinately troubled by the thought, probably for the reasons mentioned here. They know it is possible but never expected it to happen to them.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• daystar
    daystar
    I don't remember a time when the idea of my mortality bothered me. I think it is because so many of my best friends were in their 80s and quite a few died before I turned 10. They didn't seem particularly troubled by the fact they would die.

Lucky...

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

Spectrum,
    Yes, absolutely a mourning process.
    Did your realization have anything to do with a certain age you reached, or at what age did you realize this? I lost a lot of years of my life as well as my "immortality".
    To me the fact that we are thus equal in fate with the rest of humanity is a comfort though.
    VG

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

Auldsoul,

:"...so many of my best friends were in their 80s and quite a few died before I turned 10..."

Is that what is behind your alias?

VG

• garybuss
    garybuss

Accepting my mortality was sort of the last step for me. For me, the thing that made it all make sense was when I researched Jewish history, manners and customs, and the history of religions and gods. When I was free from religion, superstition, and theism, I was able to accept my mortality without a problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit