Freemasonry and the congregation

by Satans little helper 40 Replies latest jw friends

• freetosee
    freetosee

LittleToe & Kenneson,

True, comparing any two organisations one would find a number of commonality and differences. I think comparing is an effective tool for evaluation. We do it all the time. Making comparisons is a technique used in every field of science. A ‘comparison of two’ is limited compared with a ‘comparison of three or more”. Now if we add a third column to the list of parallels, a better observation is accessible. For example (common) Christianity, the parallels and differences become significant. To me the vast number of points of commonality is striking.

Believing that freemasonry had an influence on the WTS, I am not saying masonry actively influenced or even approved of this. That’s why I find it interesting that both societies deny any relation to each other.

The amount of indications (or evidence to me) that the WTS’ founder was mason does not necessarily reflect negatively on freemasonry.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

To make a proper comparison you need to list ALL the beliefs and teachings. At that point you will probably discover that the margin of similarity is rather small...

Drawing together a third column would compound the issue as, for example, the Freemasons have as much in common with mainstream Christianity as they do JWs. E.g.:

• Accept blood transfusions
    • Higher degrees are Trinitarian
    • Belief in an immortal soul

On these three [non-exhaustive] issues the JWs stand in contrast, thereby proving a flaw in the theory.

• freetosee
    freetosee

I still think the unique parallels between Russell and Mason is striking. Russell’s fundamental teachings are uniquely closer to Mason. Ideas don’t come out of a vacuum. Russell copied most of his teaching from others like Miller, Adventists etc.

The research I have done has leads me to this conclusion. But if you have related links for me I would be happy to do more research, because I find this very interesting.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You acknowledge that most of Russell's teachings came from the Adventists. Does that make him the Mason, or the founders of the Adventists?

The 19th century was a hotbed of ideas, occultism, and cults.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

William Miller was a Mason, but I find no evidence that Russell was, nor Ellen G. White, who founded the Seventh Day Adventists.

• freetosee
    freetosee

I mentioned that because my reasoning is Russell copied much from other sources. So it would not be surprising for him to copy from Masons. Christianity was there centuries before, but Russell’s WT got started when masonry experienced a boom in America after masons travel over from England and Scotland. Please how do you explain Russell’s strong use of mason symbolism, doctrine, terminology, etc.…? What convinces you that there is no link between Freemasons and Russell? It is surly more then just coincident to me. I did not know Miller was a Mason, thank you that gives me something new to look into.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I'm a volunteer researcher at the Florida State Library in the afternoons. We have volumes and volumes of rolls of members of Masonic Lodges from each county throughout the State. The Masons kept meticulous records, not only in Florida, but elsewhere. No one has been able to find Charles Taze Russell's name listed in any lodge in Pennsylvania or anywhere else. If he was a Mason, it's recorded somewhere. When that list, with his name is found, if it exists, I will be convinced.

• freetosee
    freetosee

That very interesting, of course it’s impossible for me to provide that kind of evidence. But this still does not explain Russell’s strong use of mason symbolism, doctrine, terminology, etc.…?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Freetosee,

There are numerous sites, pro and con, that discuss this very topic. The pyramidology that Russell believed in was Christian, as there were others, like Piazzi Smyth, etc., who also believed in it. Several of Russell's comments in Zion's Watch Tower oppose Freemasonry. The most quoted comment, made in 1913, is taken out of context by many. It definitely doesn't make Russell a Freemason. He was speaking figuratively (in Biblical and spiritual terms) and not literally.

Russell died in 1916. Nothing is mentioned of the pyramid monument in his will. It was erected in 1919 by J.A. Bohnet, who was one of the board members of the Watchtower Society. If there is any Masonic connection, it would have to be through him and not Russell. You might find the following entry of interest; go to the 7th post made by Angryjw:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/29079/1.ashx

You may find the next two threads of interest also. They are written by one of our French posters, Chasson; he is not fluent in English, but I think if you take your time you can understand his points. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/10336/1.ashx http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/10189/1.ashx

• freetosee
    freetosee

Hey thanks Kenneson, I appreciate it and will look it up. freetosee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit