Freemasonry and the congregation

by Satans little helper 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Are there any freemasons who post here? If you don't want to add to the thread then feel free to PM me.

One of my close friends is a mason and has encouraged me to consider joining but everything I have known about the Masons in the past has been negative - all bigoted JW speak. From what I have researched they are a fraternity who hold near Christian moral values and cannot understand the vitriol the witnesses hold for them.

I have also seen pictures of Rutherford's grave in a Masonic cemetary so cannot understand why they would aim such negativity against a group which their founder belonged to.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

• White Waves
    White Waves

I just started reading a book titled Freemasons - Inside the World's Oldest Secret Society by H. Paul Jeffers. The author is not a Freemason so is impartial. A lot of history on the origins in medieval Europe through it's peak in America where lodges were first formed. There are 4-5 million Freemasons worldwide. The meaning of their symbols. The rites and rituals. Hierarchy and organizational structure - including rules for advancement. Conflict with major religious groups. Related women's groups. Myths and conspiracies like why is a Masonic symbol on American currency. Personally, I am surprised just how many famous and political men were and are Freemasons. 25 US presidents... Bill Gates, John Wayne, Sir Issac Newton. The list is immense. If you have access to this book, I would recommend. It's the most complete one on this topic I could find and has the documentation to support it.

• freetosee
    freetosee

Hi,

my sisters boyfriend is a mason and very secretive about masonry. Whenever I ask what it is, he tells me at length what masonry is not. It’s like asking someone for his name and he responds not telling you his name, but the many names you should not call him.

Regarding the relation of the Watchtower with Free Masonry I found this book to be very informative “the Watchtower & the Masons” by Fritz Springmeier PDF. You can download it here: http://radio.indymedia.org/news/2006/02/8554.php

Secrecy doesn’t necessarily have to be negative. (?)

freetosee

• daystar
    daystar

You might also consider "Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry" by John J. Robinson. In it he discusses a theory that the Masons are lineaged directly back to the Knights Templar, as well as other things.

• Brigid
    Brigid

I cannot add much of value to your query regarding the WTBTS linkage to Masonry and their ensuing vitriole against it. I have always assumed that it has to do with their (masons) ritualistic approach to human development (a la the old mystery schools) and their (JWs)abhorrence of ritual and human evolution. It (ritual) is actually a very powerful tool to plumb the depths of the subconscious and superconsciousness. The only quasi ritual the JWs have is memorial but it is more designed to have the adherents reject and place them in the observer role than participation in the rite.

Of note, I recently found out that I come from Masons. My paternal great grandfather was a 32nd degree and my grandfather was as well (though not as high). The only time it was noted was at the funeral, which reportedly was VERY ritualistic (I was not born yet). However, this could explain my love of ritual and mystery. Also, my mother (now a JW) was a Rainbow girl--the precursor to Eastern Star, which is the feminine side of the Masons, I believe. When I queried her recently, she would not say much except that you had to be invited in and their is a lot of secrecy--oh yea, and it's from Satan, she added

I say join. This is by invitation only. You never know.

Love and Light,

~Brigid

• under_believer
    under_believer
    I have always assumed that it has to do with their (masons) ritualistic approach to human development (a la the old mystery schools) and their (JWs)abhorrence of ritual and human evolution. It (ritual) is actually a very powerful tool to plumb the depths of the subconscious and superconsciousness. The only quasi ritual the JWs have is memorial but it is more designed to have the adherents reject and place them in the observer role than participation in the rite.

This is misconception that the Society likes to spread, but in fact many of their practices and procedures approach the level of ritual. When you do the same thing over and over again thousands of times, exactly the same way, I call that a ritual. Any deviation is considered strange or dangerous. I think it's easy to see ritualistic behavior in the formulaic, exact way the meetings are always carried out--Stand for song, prayer, the question/response cadence of the Watchtower study, the way the speaker always gives the closing prayer on Sunday.

• Brigid
    Brigid
    When you do the same thing over and over again thousands of times, exactly the same way, I call that a ritual.

Actually, I would differentiate. I think there is a big difference between rote and rite. The JWs do many things by rote (like school children learning by repitition) but there is no psychic subconscious appeal. There is no psychodrama that "speaks" wordlessly to the psyche. However, I could be wrong. This is just my POV.

Great post.

~Brigid

• daystar
    daystar

It is ritual, but not of the sort of which Brigid speaks. Ritual without progression and initiation is what the WBTS promotes. And this is used to weaken, program and enslave its constituents. Ideally, the sort of ritual involved in the Western Mystery Tradition, should be used to strengthen, individuate, and free the initiate.

• Brigid
    Brigid
    Ideally, the sort of ritual involved in the Western Mystery Tradition, should be used to strengthen, individuate, and free the initiate.

Yes, exactly! Perhaps I should concede that it is rite that they perform but yes, it is designed to separate the individual from Self and not unite. To enslave rather than free.

~Brigid

• daystar
    daystar
    Ideally, the sort of ritual involved in the Western Mystery Tradition, should be used to strengthen, individuate, and free the initiate.

Yes, exactly! Perhaps I should concede that it is rite that they perform but yes, it is designed to separate the individual from Self and not unite. To enslave rather than free

This is quite another reason I have such a hard time believing there are any real ties between real Freemasonry and any past WBTS authority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit