For those of you who went to Bethel, how was the food?

by TresHappy 50 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2

When I first became a dub I lived in Illinois, was raising two young children, and had no money, therefore, a Bethel trip was out of the question for me. I used to speculate on how wonderful it must be there, full of Jehoover's spirit, almost like a slice of Paradise even in the midst of this terrible "world". As the years passed, most of the scales fell from my eyes and I realized that Bethel was probably not all it was cracked up to be, and, after coming to this board, I realized that it was just cracked. But, I still had this idea that they had wonderful meals with fresh food straight from the Farm. I knew they'd moved printing to Wallkill, but I still thought they were providing food for Bethel. Guess I wasn't paying attention like so many dubbers. Quite interesting that they make the Bethel fambly scramble through meals so that even if the cuisine was super duper, they would hardly be able to taste it.

So funny how nothing in the WTS is quite what you think it is.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

lol.....NY is actually the 3rd biggest producer of grapes/wine among the US states.

So I was right the first time. Apart from what you think is a mistake on my part, what do you think of the REST of the post?

I went to a lot of trouble writing and thinking out that post, only to have one small detail nit-picked. If I'd just said "wine" and NY wasn't a big producer of grapes, I'd have been hammered. So I give myself wiggle room, and I STILL get hammered! I suppose you don't have bees in NY?

In a nutshell: the Watchtower has a huge resource in the form of both land, and production and human capital, which, if massaged, encouraged and otherwise utilised, may leave a legacy to society, while actually solving many of Bethel's monetary and motivational problems.

• blondie
    blondie

Just consider Bethel one large dysfunctional congregation with even more rules than the local congregations. What a tense place it was and still is.

Blondie

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

I forgot to mention the Thomas' English Muffins which were available for free...day(s) old stuff...but free.

On one family night skit they did a "101 Things to do with the Thomas' English Muffins" skit. Quite funny.

Door stops, mini-pizzas, etc...

• Balsam
    Balsam

My ex and I went up there in the 80's and picked up a bethelite that was going to marry a sister in our congregation. The food was ok, but I thought it was to stiff and formal, and way too rushed. Everyone was hungry at breakfast and we had to sit there and let the food get cold while they text was read and discussed. I thought that was dumb. Food was not as great as I imagined.

Balsam

• VM44
    VM44

Does The Watchtower still own the orange grove farm in Florida?

Or are they (or have they) going to sell that off as well?

It is important for the Bethelites to get their Vitamin C!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

The Watchtower _appears_ to still have a citrus farm in Lehigh Acres, FL. --VM44

SUPPLIER_LIST

WATCHTOWER BIBLE & TRACT SOCIETY OF, LEHIGH ACRES, FL.

Watchtower Grove

1001 Lehigh East Rd, Lehigh Acres, FL 33972-9301

(239) 369-3245

• blondie
    blondie

I was told by a JW who lives and florida and does volunteer work at the grove that it was sold.

• VM44
    VM44

blondie,

Interesting, did your friend tell you this sometime during the last few years?

It appears that The Watchtower is taking very active steps to divest itself of all its food production facilities as fast as they can.

Makes one wonders if all along through the years that they really did save money growing their own food, or was it an exercise is self-sufficiency?

Or did the economics of food production change over the years simply making it inefficient for them to produce their food?

--VM44

• serendipity
    serendipity

I have to wonder if the cost cutting is being driven by reduced contributions. Or if the operational costs are increasing greatly. I'd hate to think that the money is being siphoned off to a Swiss bank account.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit