For those of you who went to Bethel, how was the food?

by TresHappy 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Pwned
    Pwned

so what do they do at the farms now if they aren't growing food?

• mann377
    mann377

Lets see..........................

First, stay away from the pizza made with bannas

Second, No pigs liver!!!

Third, watch out for the stuffed (monkey butts) bell peppers

Fourth no more Cheerios

Fifth, You will eat so fast that you don't really care.

Sixth, at harvest time the food is quite good, just don't let the GB find out about the fine cuts from the slaughter house that we were eating from, word came down from on high that the best cuts were for the Big shots. A lot of S__t hit the fan because of this in 1974.

• blondie
    blondie
    so what do they do at the farms now if they aren't growing food?

For 20 years or more, the WTS has been printing the WT and the Awake at Wallkill. In the last year or so they have moved the rest of the printing operations in Brooklyn up to Wallkill. That is why it is no longer called "The Farm" and JWs in the know will correct you if you make that mistake...it's just called Wallkill now. I assume they may sell or lease any farm land they no longer use. Blondie

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

The Canadian Bethel Farm has recently been sold.

BB

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

At Sydney Bethel and watchtower farm in the early 70's the meals were more pot luck than planned ..if there was a bumper crop of beans we ate beans till we peed green. One year (1972?) the onions went beserk and for a month they dominated the menu. Once an American brother and his wife cooked donuts for breakfast - absolutely disgusting! lol

• TheListener
    TheListener

The food was pretty good.

I hated Oleo.

I loved pizza day. I loved it when they left out cold cuts and you could make your own sandwiches.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

1976 to 1980 the food was great! Physical food was the most redeeming aspect of Bethel. Almost made up for the spiritual slop.

Actually the most "redeeming" aspect, pun intended, was when, after breakfast, I collected the free silverware boxtops (for stainless steel, but high quality) from 300 boxes of cereal (Kellogg's Corn Flakes). I got enough silverware to give away a couple of sets of 8. (I think I got about 2 dozen knives, forks, spoons, and various serving sets) I saved one set for my own then-upcoming wedding in June 1980. We still have most of it.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    Actually the most "redeeming" aspect, pun intended, was when, after breakfast, I collected the free silverware boxtops (for stainless steel, but high quality) from 300 boxes of cereal (Kellogg's Corn Flakes). I got enough silverware to give away a couple of sets of 8. (I think I got about 2 dozen knives, forks, spoons, and various serving sets) I saved one set for my own then-upcoming wedding in June 1980. We still have most of it.

that is why sometime in the late 1990's they told us not to rip the coupons/offers from the cereal boxes unless you take the whole box cause they reuse the cereals agains ... but they can't store the boxes that are ripped up.

• VM44
    VM44

"...at harvest time the food is quite good, just don't let the GB find out about the fine cuts from the slaughter house that we were eating from, word came down from on high that the best cuts were for the Big shots. A lot of S__t hit the fan because of this in 1974."

We need to hear more Bethel stories like this one! The Bethelites are told to "keep within the Bethel family" what happens there, so I am glad you told this here!

So, at dinner time the higer ups, (the GBs!) would be served filet mignon and rib eye steaks while the lowly ones at other tables would be served hamburger and cube steaks? (exaggerating a little here)

Since everyone eats in a large dinning area at Bethel, it would be hard to conceal that higher quality foods would be consistently be served at certain tables. I wish I could have seen the reaction when this practice was first found out!

This reminds me that the "higher ups" at Bethel always travel in first class when they go on trips. Where missionaries only get one way economy plane fare to their assignments.

--VM44

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

What-A-Coincidence,

You said: "that is why sometime in the late 1990's they told us not to rip the coupons/offers from the cereal boxes unless you take the whole box cause they reuse the cereals agains ... but they can't store the boxes that are ripped up."

Yeah. I always got annoyed when someone else screwed up a good thing. They had already made that announcement in the 1970's too, before I had even collected enough coupons for a whole serving set for 8. It turned out to be the motivation. After all the trouble we always went through to take only empty boxes and even after doing the work of the serving crew by consolidating partial boxes into full boxes that weren't tampered with, there was still always some brother (usually sister, in this case) who would mess up the plan by ripping up boxes "against the rules". We figured that would ruin it for the silverware offer and that someone in charge would soon come up with someway not to even bring the boxes to the tables. But when the boxes for that offer came out one last time (we thought) I got 2 or 3 volunteers to go through each dining room and that's how we ended up with more coupons than I could use myself.

Ah! The petty memories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit