I got off easy because my father is an Elder

by Pwned 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• jojochan
    jojochan

You are not alone in that department.

That happened to me and a lot of the guys whose dads were elders as well. One had gotten on private reproof a lot!( And in those days there were NO such thing as "private" reproof) Another just got on public reproof. But the biggest case of one getting off light was my ex wife.

Unknown to me she was one of the biggest whores, and thief in the circuit. And her father protected her, even to the point of hiding the records of her JC meetings regarding her immoral behavior. When my dad became P.O. in her dads place he noticed that certain files were indeed missing. It was informed to him by another elder that those files were handeled "exclusivly" by her dad and the C.O personally. It involved her and two other brothers whose fathers were also P.O's from another hall.

This goes on, and on. For those that want to keep their position in the hall. Or some do it for the love of their kids.

Who knows.

jojochan.

• Mattica
    Mattica

It's not what you know, its how you blow.

• Nowman
    Nowman

My dad was an elder too, mom a pioneer. I just left on a Monday in October 1992, went out in service all with my mom, said see you later and never returned. Now, I would get 30 calls a day before it was announced that I was DF'd, but up until then, they all tried to talk some sense in me.

My dad would call me every other day asking if I had commited fornication. I would honestly tell him no everytime but that when I did, I would tell him, Ha. After three months, he called, he asked me, I said yes, I was then announced as DFd at the next Tuesday night meeting. That was it. Never had to meet with anyone. No letters. Haven't seen dad since October 1992. Mom and I reunited in 2000, since October 1992. She no longer is a JW. Shes free too.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Congratulations on getting off easy. You seem to be the rule. I was the exception. I got thrown to the JC twice. Both times by my PO father. It's OK, and I'll tell you why. I respect people that don't use their position to get their family off the hook. Personally, I think parents that do that produce members of society that cannot function in the real world.

• Pwned
    Pwned

The thing is I don't think that my dad asked for any favors and was prepared to step down and everything but the other elders wouldn't hear of it. At one point a few years later he told me that he was going to start shunning me (not in those words of course) I told him I didnt understand that it didnt seem like something that Jesus would do and he never followed through on it. weird...

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

XJW4EVR,

Maybe it's because our dads were POs...I have noticed quite a few children of POs have it pretty tough when it comes to JCs and the like. I was born with a lot to live up to. I am happy to disappoint.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

Maybe your dad should talk with my parents because I'm not even DA'd and my parents are shunning me. It really does suck. But I am happy that you got out ok. Do you still talk to him like nothing is wrong?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Elders can throw the book at people who deny the faith - but then again they do not always do so. After all if, like me, the person is not known to be actively criticising or spreading dissent - what do they gain ? If they are positive thinkers they might hope that I "regain my spiritual health" although they do nothing to achieve that.

In my case they seem content to leave me alone, although I have made my feelings perfectly clear and advised them of the UN scandal . I go along to Sunday meetings often, only to accompany my wife who is not in good health.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Auld,

Were you ever referred to as Bro. So-and-so's son? I hated that. It was as if I didn't exist as an individual, just the recreation of my dad.

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

I think most elders will react depending on how their position, standing or privileges could or will be affected.
    When an elder wields power over his fellow elders and has lots of clout with them, he can use his "discretion" in "loving kindness" in protecting others, including his offspring.
    When an elder feels his position, standing or privileges could or will be threatened, he would probably want to avoid any appearance of conflicting interests, acting decisively to make a statement,
    I've had mixed experiences from the JC's I was in.
    In a single JC for "going all the way" about twenty years ago, I got off with a private reproof. Case closed. The JC was even held in my own home.
    JW life can be a bewildering amalgam of positive and negative experiences.
    VG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit