How many...

by LaCatolica 18 Replies latest jw friends

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

MY HUSBAND!!! I'm so proud of him!!!!!!!!
    He went back to school and is graduating this coming Saturday with a Bachelors degree in Business!

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR HUSBAND....GOOD FOR HIM!!!

WOW, THROW HIM A HUGE PARTY AND GIVE HIM TONS OF PRAISE.

I PRAY THAT MY HUSBAND DOES THIS SOMEDAY...I'M HERE TO OFFER MY UNENDING SUPPORT!

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

THANKS!!!! He'll be the first one in his family to have a college degree!!

The sick thing is, people from our old hall would ask him why he was leaving God, by going back to school!!!

WOW, THROW HIM A HUGE PARTY AND GIVE HIM TONS OF PRAISE

Got that taken care of. The party will be a week from Saturday!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

JW Friends – mostly teachers, some nurses, other lawyers, paralegals; Me: E nglish major, psychology minor. Law school – J.D.; JW Mom: Bachelor of Arts; JW Sister: Nurse; JW Nephew (considering his college options as he will be graduating soon).

• serendipity
    serendipity

I've known a few JWs with degrees, though they don't openly talk about it. I've known nurses (RNs), an accountant, one who was going to med school (not sure if he finished) and several computer science degrees (including me). There were a few others with liberal arts degrees who ended up as secretaries unfortunately. I've also known a few teachers. The degrees were more prevalent in the city rather than rural areas.

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

Many mentioned JW friends or family members who are teachers...It's hard for me to conceive. I'm a teacher and we HAVE to dress up our classroom for each holiday and do activities with our students. Decorations go up for Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas, etc. Students birthdays must be acknowledged and celebrated in the room. I wonder how they work this out if they are JWs...it all goes against their beliefs, but IT'S PART OF OUR JOB AS TEACHERS....

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Apart from myself (I have an English Degree obtained in my pre jw days) and one other person who attnded a neighbouring kh, I don't know any.

• CincinnatiKid
    CincinnatiKid

In my neck of the woods there are none...

I myself went to college (BS Computer Science) but my parents have always blamed higher eduction (man's knowledge) with pulling me out of the organization. Prior to college I was supposed to just find a trade--Electrition--and devote my life to the ministry. It took a lot to finally convince them to let me go to college. I had to go to a local college so that I could still live at home and I had to both work (to pay for school) and pioneer at the same time. Easy to say my Freshman year was hard.

I think in general JW's do not plan for the future (with Armegedon and all). This would include education, career planning, savings and even retirement planning. Why go to a 4-year college when the "New World" will be here by then anyway. All that it's gotten them is 30yrs stuck in a deadend job, multiple bankrupcies and no retirement savings. I knew I had to do more.

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

Haha...learning a trade...funny, b/c right after H.S. my husband went to "Air Conditioning School"...got his certification, it didn't go so well. Worked as a maintenance man at some apartment complex. So, sad! Also, he later went to Real Estate school to become a Realtor and has pretty much had a hard time breaking into that too. Hasn't had much luck.

So, this is why he became a bit uneasy when I suggested we opened up a college savings account for our newborn daughter. hahaha...well, it's going to happen whether he likes it or NOT. hahah!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit