What kind of things did you do when going door to door to add time?

by whyizit 28 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

When I was taking the group out driving around (back when gas was .80cent a gallon) and make sure the friends where OK. Go to the mcdonalds on the other side of the territory (hey they had the best cheese danishes.) there were certain people I could visit that would feed me (older folks who looked at me as their grand sith.) wait for a call to get home in 15-20 minutes who I knew was not coming.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Just reading some of the posts here made me think of just how many people are out there in dub land wasting time? I'm still an "active" pub, but I haven't done any real service in well over 3 years. Nobody really cares as long as you fill out that slip! I remember when I was pioneering once years ago and I would have really bad months. I used to write down what I actually got. By then end of it though I just started writing "71" or "68", even though I was putting in about 5. I could have cared less near the end. How superficial it all is.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Have you SEEN the way JWs "walk" from house to house. This is supposed to be the most important work there is and yet they crawl around in groups WASTING time. A door to door salesman on commission makes them look stupid. He maximises his time, moves on immediately when he realises there's no-one home, walks briskly between houses and quickly and efficiently takes his "not home details" JWs knock, wait 5 mins, knock again, walk to end of path, record NH, double check the detail, stroll to next house, repeat.

Joke.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Ya, Pubsinger...then their HTH records are found a year later crumpled under their car seat, crumpled and wedged into the deepest recess of their Service Bag™, in a small pile on some forgotten section of bookshelf, or in the back of someone else's Bible who then wonders where that came from before tossing it in the waste bin, etc.

Wonderfully efficient system. I am thankful they don't improve it.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• HockeyMullet
    HockeyMullet
    we used to go to breakfast, but make sure we took an unbaptised publisher with us... that way we could count the time...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to do this. I pretty much counted anytime an undunked pub was within shouting distance. It made pioneering alittle easier.

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

As I recall, a typical Saturday morning excursion in service would involve a cargroup of 5 -6 people crammed into a mini-van stopping at someone's return visit for the very first call...this would let us "start our time"!

Then after waiting 5 - 10 minutes, more if they were actually home, we would drive to country territory and take one house at a time...

By 9:45AM the car was headed towards the break area to meet with all the other cargroups at 10AM. At 10:45AM (or later) the car group headed out again to do all RV's. Normal quitting time for service was 11:30AM.

Another common time user was visiting a Witness that was shut in or someone slightly inactive - you know - on the "pity" list. Single moms or people with disbeliving mates, things like that. Sheesh.

All in all, what a productive use of time. But you know what - I prayed for mornings like that.

The worst was being put in a car group with someone who was gung ho - then you'd be canvassing neighborhoods and actually knocking on tons of doors.

When it was my turn at the door I would pretend to press the door bell, positioning my body, etc. so that my partner couldn't tell. Sometimes I would say, "Gee, you could barely hear that bell inside there, huh?" {innocent blink}

So we'd be standing there on the steps and I always wondered if someone was inside thinking "WTF? Why are they just standing there without knocking/ringing?"

Thank Gawd!! those days are over!!!

• trevor
    trevor

The pioneer I worked with had a whole bag of tricks. Sitting in cafes writing up reports on the conversations we had just had with householders. Walking for 30 minutes between return visits. On chap used to do the days text with his unbaptised 12 year old brother at 8AM. He had then started the clock for the day.

I grew tired of all these tricks and reasoned that in any employment if you work from 9-5 you are paid for 8 hours. I would count 8 hours for every full day I devoted to the cause. Any evening work was extra.

I knew one pioneer who allowed just two days to get his time in plus a bit on Sunday. He would go from 8AM - 8PM. He was very conscientious and fitted a lot in and had lots of Bible studies. He was open about it and said that the only time he had to spare. No one questioned him.

• Gordy
    Gordy

When you think of it they get 2 hours out of 1 hour.

You get 2 JW's working a street for an hour. They each put a report in that says they have done 1 hours field service. So 2 hours of service was done. Was it?

Now multiply this 50 JW's go out in pairs (25) each pair does an hour field service. Each publisher puts in a report saying they did 1 hours service. The congregation report will show that 50 hours of field service was done.

But in reality only 25 hours service was done.

• Gordy
    Gordy

I remember a brother.

He would call a house close to home. Then drive 20 minutes (longest route ) to meet on service. Do 20 minutes with group, then go. Drive 20 minutes back home. Call at another house near home to finish off. Then claim he had done an hour in service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit