What kind of things did you do when going door to door to add time?

by whyizit 28 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Just thought I would let you all know, that as part of my ongoing Theocratic Warfare Strategy I placed 6 magazines this morning. I will be recording about 20 on my time slip though -- this is from another thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/110453/1.ashx

• ObservingTexan
    ObservingTexan
    Just thought I would let you all know, that as part of my ongoing Theocratic Warfare Strategy I placed 6 magazines this morning. I will be recording about 20 on my time slip though -- this is from another thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/110453/1.ashx

Stilla...... you've got almost TEN THOUSAND posts and you're still countin' time. When are you gonna wake up and smell the coffee?

• The Mayor of Turiwhate
    The Mayor of Turiwhate

Thanks for your comments, stillanxjwelder.

My first post on this site led me directly into a s##tfight with someone! Good to now receive some positive feedback.

Mayor of Turiwhate.

• Synergy
    Synergy

Stopped at McDonalds and Hardees, ordered food and gave tracts to the cashier. I'm sure they laughed so hard when we left. But boy were we proud as peacocks back then.

Renee (of the embarrassed to show my face in fast food joints class)

• luna2
    luna2

I wasn't very proactive. I usually had my stupid magazines or whatever book or pamphlet was being offered stuffed in my cheap bookbag, but I'd always "forget" my little notebook with my return visits in it. I hated making return visits. So, everything was left up to whoever I went out with. I didn't drag my feet or anything when actually out in service, but I sure didn't contribute much to the effort.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

On the way to the KH in the morning stop at a laundromat or gas station and leave a tract or magazine to start the clock. This allowed me to count time on the way to the KH and during the field service meeting, organizing car groups and traveling to the territory. That's an easy 1 to 1.5 hours right there.

Go in a car group doing return visits and not-at-homes: Drive around for 10 or 20 minutes to get to a house... two people get out and do the house. Then drive around for 10 or 20 minutes to get to another house... two people get out and do the house. Repeat as needed.

At this point I could mark down at least two hours of field service time when in reality I did about five minutes of actual "work".

Also, since I was being groomed to be an elder I was frequently invited to go along in the "elder car". This is the car that the organizing elder drove around in while directing everything that was going on. We would drive to a group of door-to-door JWs, roll down the window, tell them which street to work next, and then drive on to the next group. If we had four or five car groups out that day we could easily spend all of our time in the AC comfort of the car as we drove from one group to the next one over and over. That is an easy two hours without ever setting foot on a door step.

• whyizit
    whyizit

Did any of you think it was strange? The whole "counting time" thing?

What kind of minimum did you have to achieve? If someone is not baptized yet, what is expected out of them? Do they have to buy the magazines, etc..that they expect to give out? Do you have to buy the ones you pass around? How much are you expected to pay for them?

It just really seems strange to me. I've heard my JW friends bad-mouth other religions for trying to give them literature OTHER than the Bible, yet that is all I ever see them handing out! I've never had a JW leave a Bible at my door. Only a bunch of colorful magazines with pictures of kids playing with snakes and holding koala bears. Never a BIBLE.

Did any of you ever find that rather "odd"?

Thanks for all the response!

• KW13
    KW13

usually spirtual stuff, place mags with family. if not, it was family, friends...money, school, life.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

We had mostly rural territory. I used to love going out with this one older sister. She had lived in the area for so long and knew every territory there was. She had loads and loads of return visits. And I mean visits. It was usually someone her age, and we'd stop by, get invited in, be served drinks and a snack and then chat for a while. At the end this sister would then pull out the mags and leave them with the householder. This sister could be a royal pain in the "you know what" but if you wanted an easy day in service, she was the one to go with.

The one time that a whole lot of time was wasted was when the car group stopped at a season cottage site. All these cottages are on leased Conservation land and you are only allowed to stay at them certain months of the year. This was the off season and all the cottages were closed up. I tried to expain to the brother leading the group that there would be no one there but he insisted we call on every cottage anyways.

BB

• Mrs.Congeniality
    Mrs.Congeniality

ONE MONTH MY HUSBAND AND I WERE PIONEERING AND WE HAD TO GO OUT OF TOWN FOR A WEEKEND FOR FAMILY AND WE KNEW IF WE DID WE WOULD NOT MEET OUR QUOTA SO WE DECIDED TO STOP AT EVERY REST AREA ALONG THE WAY. THERE AND BACK WE LEFT BACK ISSUES AT GAS STATIONS AND REST AREAS. IT WORKED GREAT. 6 HOURS THERE AND 6 HOURS BACK. I THINK WE HIT 5 PLACES EACH WAY. WE MADE OUR TIME THATS ALL WHAT REALLY MATTER TO THEM RIGHT!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit