AARP

by pandora 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

The heck with 'issues'... AARP is pretty cool!

I was able to register at La Quinta and claim the AARP discount - which amounted to about $5 - $10 per night. Pretty cool!

Regards,

Jim TX (of the 'I just turned 50 last October' class)

• JeffT
    JeffT

As noted AARP is heavily politicized, I haven't joined, although they keep sending me stuff - last time I wrote "NOT YET!" across it and sent it back. I have concluded that 55 is not old. There is another organization, which I will try to look up, that provides some of the benefits, without the political baggage.

• hubert
    hubert
    AARP is a United Nations NGO.

So was the Watchtower, for ten years.

That didn't stop her from being associated with that, did it?

Hubert

• pandora
    pandora

Thank you JeffT. I would appreciate finding out about other orgs. I thought AARP was the only org that helped older folk.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    It's NOT a religious organization -- it is merely an organization that aims its services at older people . . . like me, dammit. (I turned 50 last December.) Maybe she is resisting it because she doesn't want to feel old. However, membership entitles one to discounts on things like hotel rooms and car rentals, so it's not all granny shoes and prostate meds.

Nina (of the Growing Old UNgracefully Class)

I resemble that Nina! I got my nose pierced (and now wear a cute tiny purple zirconia stud) to "spite my age". I'll be 50 in Nov. What I'm least looking forward to is the colonoscopy.... It's bad enough getting one's boobs smashed for a mammogram. My parents used to bad-mouth AARP because of their political leanings. But, with us baby boomers becoming the Sr. boomers, we need AARP's advocacy.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Perhaps the AARP does not agree with her politics. They are a rather left leaning organization. They AARP has fought to prevent Social Security reform, for example.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I know tons of JWs who enrolled in AARP.

I've been a member for a few years, but haven't seen a huge number of benefits. I do like their mag.
    Perhaps if I traveled more, I'd use their services more. I'm looking into some life insurance through them, and may check out their car insurance.
    S4

• rebel8
    rebel8

Probably your mom doesn't like them b/c they are so politically active.

The only insurance I've heard of AARP offering is a wraparound policy for Medicare, meaning it is for ppl with Medicare and covers what Medicare doesn't.

Medicaid is not age-tested, it's income-tested, so she may qualify. Or you might google "low cost health insurance" and your state as a keyword. Some states are offering low cost health insurance to those who don't qualify for Medicaid.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Jen it is just your Mom. My mother who was a JW was a member of AARP. It has many benefital programs for people over 50.

When I was a JW most of the older folks who were retirement age were members of AARP. It's just your mom's weird feelings about it.

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit