AARP

by pandora 18 Replies latest jw friends

• pandora
    pandora

Hi everyone, Haven't been here in a while. Guess that is because I haven't had to deal with my JW mom in a while. But things change and here I am. I have a question for all of you. My wonderful mother is getting up there in age. My step-dad just retired and they are in between insurance companies. I don't think she can get insurance because she isn't old enough for medicaid or medicare. So I, foolishly, suggested that she check into the AARP. Well, that was a mistake. She showed such distain for the org. that I have to wonder why. I haven't been in the religion in 20 years now. So I admit to having lost touch. But I thought they were against you being a part of other RELIGIOUS orgs. Have they closed them off to everything that could be helpful?? Or is my mom just extreme in her views? I hope someone has had some experience with this. Thank you so much for explaining this to me. Jen (P)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I don't know what AARP is - but if you suggested some sort of long term insurance policy maybe its because she still thinks Armageddon is just around the corner and that there will be no need for any health care/retirement plans or to bother buying a house etc...

• pandora
    pandora

American Association of Retired Persons (People) Although they have dropped that and are now just known simply as AARP because it is open to anyone 50 and older. Most people who are 50 aren't retired yet.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

It's NOT a religious organization -- it is merely an organization that aims its services at older people . . . like me, dammit. (I turned 50 last December.) Maybe she is resisting it because she doesn't want to feel old. However, membership entitles one to discounts on things like hotel rooms and car rentals, so it's not all granny shoes and prostate meds.

Nina (of the Growing Old UNgracefully Class)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Do yoru folks/mother have a retirement plan/savings? I'm pretty sure mine don't and they are going to have to live off the state pension which means they will end their lives in poverty.

• jstalin
    jstalin

AARP is a United Nations NGO.

• pandora
    pandora

No My parents don't have any retirement. Dad gets social security but Mom won't get any for another couple of years. She did tell me to be sure to put money in a retirement plan. I thought that was better than what she used to tell me. Which was, of course, that I wouldn't need any of that stuff. She is realizing that she was wrong on that count, at least. I dont' think she is in denial about her age. There is definately something wrong, in her mind, with being a MEMBER. She said that word with a great amount of disdain. It seems to be the member part that bugs her. She says that they have sent her stuff since she turned 50. And I get the impression she feels she is being a good JW when she throws them in the trash. I guess she is just a lost cause, huh?

• jstalin
  • Nina
    Nina

This is probably the source of her discomfort: http://www.aarp.org/issues/

"Legislative advocacy" and "voter education" don't sit well with JW's.

Nina

• pandora
    pandora

You are probably right. It is the actavism that she doesn't like. They actually care about things in their world. She can't be a part of that. What's up with the NGO obsessed guy?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit