Ok, so I'm going to my first church service this Sunday.......

by WingCommander 20 Replies latest jw friends

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

I've gone to the Unitarian Universalist a couple times and really like it. It is hard for me to explain all that it entails, but it is very liberal. They are based on acceptance of all the world's religions, believe in peace, stewardship of the earth, and keeping an open mind. They have various topics each week that are more of way to get the group discussing vs. it being a preaching session. I sat next to a agnostic last week and it was very interesting and really sparked my curiosity. They believe that spirituality is a journey and that there really is no right or wrong answers.

HS

• Honesty
    Honesty

Life is.... a church.

Go, enjoy.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

About 4 years ago I went to visit a relative in a far away state. This was about a year or two after I got baptized. He took me along to his evangelical church (can't remember the official name). I found it refreshing to meet other christians. I was actually a MS at the time. Wonder what would have happened if the Elders would have known where I went. I didn't feel totally comfortable going at the time, but didn't really care that much about the whole run from other churches like they have the plague thing.
    Before I became a JW I was allways interested in going to other places of worship, this was while I was a teenager. I think the best thing that can come out of going to other churches after being a JW is how you can help others to appreciate what the WTS really is.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Mary, just so you know, the Easter mass in the Catholic church is a bit different from what you'd experience there at other times, particularly if you attended the Easter vigil. I went to that this year - first time in about 30 years. I can see how it would be a bit unusual for someone who was perhaps raised as a JW. I was raised as a Catholic and converted to JW as an adult, so the rituals were not unusual for me.

There are reasons for them. If you're interested, I have a book I just finished reading that explains the Catholic mass that I could loan you.

W

• joe_black
    joe_black

Cangrats! I hope you like it. I kinda been searchin around for a new place to go, someone mentioned Calvary Chapel once. Anyone know about this particular religion?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I live in L.A., but if I lived in Houston, I would go to the Lakewood Church where Joel Osteen is the minister. I catch him Sunday mornings on television (1/2 hr.) ... very inspirational, non-judgemental and humorous at times. You can go to his website and click on the Service LIVE or click on some past services. It's a good way to tip-your-toe-in-the-water, so to speak. Check out his website. Register, but don't worry about them inundating you with emails....it hasn't happened to me. They also list their t.v. schedule for your area.

www.joelosteen.com

One last thing, keep searching, don't get discouraged.... you'll know when the Church is a right 'fit'.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

While your exploring churches I highly recomend experiencing a Calvary Chapel if there is one near you. They are so suiyed for ex JWs because there is very little religiosity. No dress code, people wear shorts, whatever. The worship music is wonderful and contemporary.

I would have had a really hard time with some of the traditional churches. I was too burnt out to deal with religion, dressing a certain way, etc. I would have ran if peple started roling in the isles or speaking in toungues.

Check out the churches link if interested to find the nearest one to you.

Calvary Chapel

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    Cangrats! I hope you like it. I kinda been searchin around for a new place to go, someone mentioned Calvary Chapel once. Anyone know about this particular religion?

Yes quite a bit. My husband and I are students at Calvary Chapel Bible College. I prayed and asked God what to do after several years of deculting myself. I felt very strongly God lead me here, to a Calvary Chapel called "Harvest" Harvest Online There I learned even more, served on different ministries and charities, and made new friends. Calvary Chapel puts great emphasis on going through the Bible, they use the great Bible commentators and Hebrew Greek scholars as references, not some guys who pretend to know something they don't. There is no outline to follow, it is all Spirit inspired, and Bible based, not Watchtower or head office based. Calvary Chapel began as a ministry in Southern California in the 60ies when an educated minister felt moved to reach the drug addicts on the beach and areas around Costa Mesa California. Whereas his other religious associates did not want dirty stoned hippies coming in barefoot, he went to seek them out, just as Christ would have done. Some would use the communion cup holders for their big toes, they were a raggy group. Some had been addicts, violent veterans from Nam on dope, acid freaks you name it. God touched them in miraclulous ways, then they went out to reach others. Thus what started as a tent church, has spread all around the world. They are reaching people as they are, where they are, without judging, just as Jesus did. We pastored a small Community church and they are very different. They were not real happy about any changes we tried to make. There is a big difference also in how churches are run. Some are board run, and for a pastor that can be difficult and time consuming administration. Calvary Chapels are pastor run and it takes alot of red tape away so that people can go about the business of community outreach and charities. They still have a board, but they are more for making sure no heresy enters the church, not telling the pastor how things are to be run or taught. Many Blessings on all Your Church experiences~Kate

• Amnesty Vendor
    Amnesty Vendor

Are JWs the only religion to punish you for just attending another service or reading other religious literature?

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hey have a great time! I've not felt inclined towards a new church, my god these days isn't interested in how we worship it, so I contribute what I can to the planet as my effort. I consider churches a club; great for some, open to various kinds of abuse though. I hope it works out for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit