Thank You Ray Franz.

by Martini 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Martini
    Martini

Hello Friends,

In a thread over at witnesses.net entitled "Society bracing for law suits" fellow JW's are taking swipes at Ray Franz. Not too long ago, while I was still under the WT spell I also would have similarily spoken abusively of Ray. However since I have read for myself his book 'Crisis of Conscience' I realise taht "I" like most everyone else in the Organization is in TOTAL ignorance of his plight with the GB and Brooklyn Bethel back 20 years ago. I was a victim of rumors and gossip about Ray, much as are the poor brothers over at wit.net!

To those lurking from wit.net;

Make no mistake to read that book is to face up to the reality that the WTS is not what we have made it to be. It is a brutal experience to come to terms with but sooner or later we will ALL have to honestly examine our unquestioning security and reliance on the WT Organization and their claim to be God's sole channel on earth.

The idea is unthinkable and/or disturbing to you at present but like I said some have faced this sooner others will later, it's all in the timing,
    one day you too will have to face the TRUTH.

More on the book later.
    Martini

Edited by - Martini on 18 October 2000 7:57:10

• AhHah
    AhHah

Martini,

I would like to "second that emotion"!

After finishing "Crisis of Conscience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom", I felt a great debt of gratitude toward Ray Franz for what was a labor of love for all, especially Jehovah's Witnesses.

Such a thorough and painstaking documentation of the doctrines, decisions and practices of the Governing Body over the years! His books reflect a remarkable knowledge and understanding of the Bible, a humble recognition of parts that he does not understand, and above all, a genuine, Christlike love for his fellowman, including his former JW associates.

How can one not feel genuine love and affection for this dear brother after reading his books?

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I saw that thread over on Witnet. Funny how it seems ok to label someone an apostate, homosexual, etc without any actual knowlege of the facts.

I commend the man for his writing. To be so loved and hated must be difficult. At least he can see the tide turning now, and maybe he will live to see some sort of vindication of his character.

I don't think the organization is going to die, and unfortunately he will likely always be labelled by the organization as an apostate, a traitor.

That is a shame, but at least he did what he could.

Kudos to him.

Path

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

There's another, very proper, JW forum called WOL (Witnesses On Line). Looking over their "join up qualifications," it says that they will abide no controversial subjects, no negative posts about WTBTS, their teachings, JW's in general, the Bible, any personally negative situations, etc., etc.

Then I looked at a couple of their posts about the changes in the WTBTS corporate structure. Some of them were "discussing" the "evil slave", "spawn of statan", "men of manure." - primarily discussing Ray Franz's comments in newspapers.

In others words, positive for the WTBTS, but
    open target on those who disagree with them and leave - no matter how demeaning to other persons.

The WTBTS teaches Jehovah's Witnesses to be like this. It's in their articles - the same wording - the same hatred and disgust.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 18 October 2000 22:53:48

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    The WTBTS teaches Jehovah's Witnesses to be like this. It's in their articles - the same wording - the same hatred and disgust.

While I believe this is true, I believe also that the Public Affairs Dept. is trying to cut down on this sort of perception.

What you have more so these days is Witnesses still influenced by past outspokeness and policies. I would think the Society would these days prefer a quiet understanding regarding specific individuals such as Ray Franz, while publically condemning specific actions by "opposers" such as in Georgia.

This anti-Ray Franz sentiment loudly expressed on these "Witness" forums would not be what the Society wants. It actually makes us appear more cult-like and is "counterproductive" in the sense that more people will actually read his books out of curiosity.

These anti-Ray Franz comments demonstrate well, the misinformation, gossip, and paranoia that exists in the organization.

Path

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Ah, yes....paranoia. I well remember the fear and loathing that could be evoked by someone uttering the words "evil slave" or "apostate".

Ray Franz is simply a man who disagreed with the regime and who wrote down his experiences as a JW. I have never heard of him actively campaigning the overthrow of the WTBTS, but you would think from the hysteria he stirs up in the rank and file that he is at this moment sitting in a tank outside Brooklyn headquarters threatening to blow the place up.

And you are correct, I believe, when you state that this "Ray bashing" only serves to strengthen the cult image of the JW's and will most likely cause more people (including active JW's) to read Ray's books. (We can only hope )

• TR
    TR

Hi Martini.

Yes, I too remember the uninformed rumormongering
    perpetrated by JW's. I remember thinking of Ray Franz as an evil, satanic anti-God apostate that tried to take over the WTS or something to that effect. I remember seeing ads in the paper for 1-800-why1914, thinking: I want to see what it's about, but it's probably nothing but lies. Truly uninformed, I was.

• Grunt
    Grunt

Hello All,
    The good thing about that thread was that the lies were pointed out. That the labels were renounced in public, like pointing out that he had been one of the few GB members that actually did go out in service. All in all, I think the thread did some good, first by bringing out again the fact that an "annointed" GB member did leave and that he was not a homosexual or trying to start a new religion. I think it is good for Witnesses to have to confront the lies that were told, and believed, to admit that a man who wrote or helped write their publications, disagreed and wrote a book explaining why. The more information the average Witness gets about what really went on, and goes on, the better as far as I am concerned. The same can be said of the "75" thread. Some of the people at Witnet knew far less at the beginning of that thread than they knew at the beginning. Knowledge is the best weapon we have. Even if they are too hardheaded to listen now, it seeps in and if they can't answer maybe it will eat away at the web of lies they are wrapped in. I rarely post at any site, but I think more real good is accomplished in regards to teaching Witnesses at Wit.net than at H20, as they are less likely to flee or avoid discussion there.

• The Dredger
    The Dredger

dredged

Make no mistake to read that book is to face up to the reality that the WTS is not what we have made it to be.

Amen!

The Dredger
    . http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=8487&site=3

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

To any Jw lurkers out there,
    This book is a must read!I promise you will find that you've been misinfirmed about it and Ray Franz.I was so glad I read it.I learned so much.But I have to admit I was angry that I had been lied to about it and realizing the real reason they don't want you to read it was a real eye opener for me.
    Ranchette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit