Disfellowshipped but sister in the 'truth' to be married soon

by cyberdyne systems 101 19 Replies latest jw friends

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Hi all,

Just wanted to start a topic on an event that will occur sometime later this year - namely my sister is to be married. She is a witness as is her boyfriend, none of his family are in but only myself and my dad are not (he has never joined) from my sister imediate family. So I was wondering what to expect, what experiences people here have had being someone who has left and then later been disfellowshipped, and then finding they might be invited to a witness wedding? I can imagine wanting to chuck when listening to the wedding talk and being in that place, i'm guessing i'll not be invited to the reception though. My dad thinks its crazy he can go and people will talk to him but not me.

CS 101

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Yeah you'll be ignored and snubbed but it'll be a great witness to your soon to be brother-in-law's family for them to be able to see what a destructive cult the dubs are

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Be prepared, you may not be invited to the wedding. A close friend of mine whose brothers were both DF'd did not invite her bros. to her wedding because they were DF'd. She greatly regrets it now. She is no longer a JW, however, both bros are reinstated and they treat her like the crap she treated them.

• unique1
    unique1

Yes, it is possible you won't be invited. Prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best. I hope she sees past everything and invites you, but I wouldn't count on it, especially if it is held in the Hall. Best Wishes!!!!!!!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

*** w97 4/15 p. 26 Weddings That Honor Jehovah ***
    While a disfellowshipped person could be allowed to attend the talk at the Kingdom Hall, The Watchtower of April 15, 1984, said: "It would be unfitting to have in the wedding party people who are disfellowshipped or whose scandalous life-style grossly conflicts with Bible principles."

w81 9/15 p. 30 If a Relative Is Disfellowshiped . . . ***
    If a disfellowshiped relative comes to the Kingdom Hall for the wedding, obviously he could not be in the bridal party there or "give away" the bride. What, though, if there is a wedding feast or reception? This can be a happy social occasion, as it was in Cana when Jesus attended. (John 2:1, 2) But will the disfellowshiped relative be allowed to come or even be invited? If he was going to attend, many Christians, relatives or not, might conclude that they should not be there, to eat and associate with him, in view of Paul’s directions at 1 Corinthians 5:11.

I have seen DF'd family members come to the wedding but not the reception.

Blondie

• James Free
    James Free
    She is no longer a JW, however, both bros are reinstated and they treat her like the crap she treated them.

LOL now that is ironic!

I was told I could go to my son's wedding, but I had to sit at the back away from the rest of the family. It was a requirement. I had to enter as it started and leave right after. No way was I allowed to the reception, and nor will you be............

I chose not to go at all, because both son and new daughter-in-law had such a big attitude about it.

They visited me to collect their wedding present a day or two later, drank a coffee - eating is not allowed (Literal reading of the scripture - LOL) and left. After that, nothing. They could be dead for all I know. If you DA, as I did, or get DF'd, it can rip apart your family. To those not baptized yet - don't do it!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've read a few experiences of people here regarding the treatment of DF'd ones at JW weddings. There's a very good chance you won't be invited. If you're invited you'll likely be treated like shit if you attend. Why give anyone that opportunity? I'm sure you can find more interesting thigs to do with your time than surround yourself with JWs.

If the situation were reversed, and you were getting married in an Anglican church, would they attend the church? Or just show up for the food and party later?

W

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Thanks for the replies, I now know that I deffinitely wont be invited to the reception, so its just the bit at the kingdom hall to endure lol. At least the point has been made that its something for the non JW relatives to witness how someone is shunned because they no longer want to be a witness.

CS 101

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Lucky you! I forget if you are dfed or not - if you are dfed then you wouldnt be invited to the wedding as strictly speaking your sister would not be talking to you and the elders would know you were communicating if you turned up for the wedding and she would probably get her own invitation to a judicial at her wedding!

I found out my sister got married 2 years ago by chance on this board a few months back. I not only didnt get an invite my family kept it a secret long after the event and never would have told me had I not found out from my loving brothers and sisters here!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

You will not be invited to the reception, maybe the ceremony if it's at a KH then they cannot stop you from going because it's a "public" place.

My dad thinks its crazy he can go and people will talk to him but not me.

That's because your dad's rightt on the money. They're a sick bunch of people.

Dismembered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit