Anger over disfellowshipping

by jambon1 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• jambon1
    jambon1
    REALLY, HAVE YOU READ SOME OF THE SHUNNING ON THESE THREADS?
    Hi Mate Unusual that such on old thread gets raked up! Doing some research? To your point: In my own case and in the case of many, I have not been d/f`d and yet as I pass some JW`s in my car from day to day, they refuse to wave to me 'just in case' I am d/f`d. I have done nothing wrong. I no longer believe the truth. Even though I took a fair few kick up the balls when I was in the org, I harbour no real resentment. I would never shun a single soul. That includes the self-righteous, pious ball kickers. However, I would remind you that some have been treated terribly in an org that sets itself up as the haven of peace, the hiding place from the wind etc. (if you care to take the time, you will see the experiences too). That is why some may react angrily. This board lets people vent feelings that would otherwise be kept inside. In my own case, I was going through mental torture. As you know, the truth is not an open forum which offers support to people who have a real reason for doubts. I had all my doubts years before coming on here. The forum merely showed me that I did`nt 'lack faith' or was 'weak'. I was`nt even bad. I was simply not a person suited to the JW lifestyle.

J

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I tell everyone I can about disfellowshipping. Not a person I speak to, friends or people at work, would ever give a JW the time of day, let alone listen to their doctrine after hearing about disfellowshipping.

It is a very common cult tactic.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

My wife and I have told all our co-workers about the JW,s they won't be gettin any of those people !

One co-worker in particular just couldn't believe that anyone would ever shun their own family just because a religon told them so, it took me awhile just to convince him that I wasn't making it up.

• carla
    carla

Everyone I have talked to is stunned by everything about the jw's!! That is why it is so important that those of you who are able, to discuss with people the dangers of this cult. Keep people out before they even join.

When I say able, I meant if it was not too painful to do so. But, on the other hand if someone was to see the pain and the tears that wouldn't be so bad either. I've had a few rough times talking to people about this cult myself.

• parakeet
    parakeet

"REALLY, HAVE YOU READ SOME OF THE SHUNNING ON THESE THREADS?" jw, if posters here practiced shunning the way JWs do, your posts would simply be ignored. Or better still, your posts would never even make it to this forum. Even though some responses to your comments are sometimes less than positive, at least you're getting responses. Even negative communication is better than none at all.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

It is a control tactic the JW's and Amish use to keep their prisoners in line. I sat through a Public Meeting in November (I think) during which the WTBS described the Mennonites as "horribly cruel" because they shunned two members who started studying with Dubz. I could only think "WTF are they STUPID or something?"

• under_believer
    under_believer

OMG Amos, are you serious!!! Man if I could find some comments like that in the literature it would just make my day. Though to be honest there are plenty of hypocritical things in there already encouraging people to ask their pastors questions and to investigate other religions.

• spawn2u
    spawn2u

When it comes up, any conversation that somehow turns to the fact that I am DF'd, I usually underplay it. I say that they were just doing there job but everyone with half a brain knows better than that, it's just my old tapes running that message. Using the DF is just plain out wrong.

• Swan
    Swan
    Anyway, I have spoken in detail as to how it all works & the effects that it has on people. One person just sat stunned as I explained what happens. I did this in the fairest way that I possibly could. No hate or malice. I just told the facts. This person, I believe, was absolutely shocked that this happens regularly to people all over the civilised world. He was preofoundly effected by what I told him, & saddened. He too is a parent.

The other person again sat in shocked disbelief. At the end of our discussion I highlighted how I just could not have treated my own family in the required WTS way. She agreed and said the words "I`d rather rip my heart out".

I get the same reaction when I tell people about this practice. Most people can't fathom how on Earth this could happen, and it really puts the JWs in a bad light. I don't have to do anything other than just explain the facts and they are shocked that the JW faith believes this way. In their minds it is similar to child sacrifice, witch burning, and other archaic religious practices.

A few years ago our local news covered the fact that JWs practice shunning. It was related to a disfellowshipped man who was believed this was done unjustly. He murdered his entire family and then killed himself. To the reporters it was big, shocking news, and you could tell that they had no clue that this was going on in their very community. After years of reporting fluff pieces about two-day Kingdom Halls, these reporters were seeing a completely different side of JWs.

After growing up thinking this was "normal" behavior, it is good to have validation from real normal people that this is truly an extreme and bizarre practice.

Tammy

• under_believer
    under_believer

That was Longo, no?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit