So which Bible translation do you prefer, and why?

by mavie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down

The Satanic one...

u/d

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I like Schonfield's "Authentic New Testament" since it gives the sources behind many NT phrases and sayings. It also comments on points of doctrine in the early ekklesia that were later changed.

I also like translations of individual books, like Robert Alter's translation/commentary on Genesis - a mine of fascinating information.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

New King James when studying with others - it's close enough to the original that I don't lose anyone if I'm reading aloud and up-to-date enough to echo the readings others give from their more modern or paraphrased translations.

New International for personal straight-through reading. (I particularly like the Bible in 90 Days NIV.)

New American Standard for a "literal" read during close personal study/research.

• serendipity
    serendipity

For readability, I like the NIV. I also like "The Message".

• mavie
    mavie
    I like Schonfield's "Authentic New Testament" since it gives the sources behind many NT phrases and sayings. It also comments on points of doctrine in the early ekklesia that were later changed.

I also like translations of individual books, like Robert Alter's translation/commentary on Genesis - a mine of fascinating information.

Both these sound great. I've been reading the Archaeological Study Bible (NIV) along with Keil and Delitzch Old Testament commentary. With so much info in these two sources, I can only read a chapter or so at a time. I also get the sense that I'm not seeing for forest for the trees.

Anyone have any favorite commentaries?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit