So which Bible translation do you prefer, and why?

by mavie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• mavie
    mavie

Downloaded e-Sword recently, with about 50 different translations and commentaries.

Which translation do you prefer, and why?

• chipa
    chipa

NIV.. just cause its probably the most accepted version, that and the King James Version, but KJ is too hard to understand...

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I've heard that the good news version is funny with its translations.

• chipa
    chipa

Its not 'funny' with its translation. Its just that it was made with 'todays' english in mind. So sometimes it feels like you are just reading a newspaper article, from yesterday, instead of reading the bible.

In Australia there is a Good News bible , Australian Edition..

Its has words like Crickey in it..

• seek2find
    seek2find

I also recently downloaded E-Sword. I like the Contemporary English Version. I usualy use at least 2 different translations in my daily reading Usualy the NWT, the CEV and the NIV or the NASB, there are things I like about them all. I like the way the the CEV is read in the audio section of the Bible Gateway web site, which I use daily also. Of the versions I listed, Only the CEV are available in E-Sword, but it is still a very usefull program and I would highly recomend it to others. It can be found at www.e-sword.net Its absoultly free (donations are accepted, but not required, it is freeware)This just goes to show that not all religious people outside JWs are in it for the money, as is sometimes implied. seek2find

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I like the NIV. And then almost Anything else but the NWT.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Holman Christian Standard Bible, New International Version, Jerusalem Bible to name a few favorites.

I really like the WTBTS's "The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures" because it shows how much the WATCHTOWER altered words to conform to their doctrines.

• ferret
    ferret

KJV because it is widely accepted by bible believers.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

NASB, NIV, NLT (New Living Translation). These are the ones I will more often than not read when doing my personal Bible study.

I like the NASB because it is closer to the original languages. It is a word-for-word translation. NIV & NLT are more about translating the original intent of the writers. The NLT is the newest modern translation, and I find it to be more relevent in its English to what is spoken today.

I like the KJV more for memorization. It's Old English style makes it easier for me to memorize.

• mavie
    mavie

seek2find, I was able to import the NIV into e-Sword. PM me if you are interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit