Do you believe in perfection?

by LittleToe 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

If something meets the standard for which it was designed, is that a reasonable definition of perfection?

Like when the first rudimentary wheel was built, and was surely perfect for the job?

Discuss

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

No.

(How's that for a perfect answer? )

• Gopher
    Gopher

If it's in the dictionary, it must exist (at least in someone's mind). Every human has flaws, so it cannot be applied to a person in the overall sense.

Merriam-Webster's online says:

perfection

One entry found for perfection.
    Main Entry: perĀ·fecĀ·tion

Pronunciation: p&r-'fek-sh&n

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English perfeccioun, from Old French perfection, from Latin perfection-, perfectio, from perficere

1 : the quality or state of being perfect : as a : freedom from fault or defect : FLAWLESSNESS b : MATURITY c : the quality or state of being saintly

2 a : an exemplification of supreme excellence b : an unsurpassable degree of accuracy or excellence

3 : the act or process of perfecting
  • anewme
    anewme

Yes Little Toe I think perfect means it pleases you perfectly! Something doesnt have to be flawless to be perfect.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I agree with you, Anewme.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

No, because it isn't true.

I was raised to be perfect. Nothing could be wrong, and you had to be happy having the perfect everything.

On the sidelines, it was very dysfunctional way of life and all a lie.

I think imperfection, is perfection!

Brooke

• poppers
    poppers

"Perfection" is only an idea which is agreed/disagreed with by a personalized viewpoint. With no viewpoint, everything is what it is.

• lilybird
    lilybird

Everyone has a different perspective of what is perfect to them.. and what one person finds perfection.. the other person will surely find fault with it..so.. I guess I believe in perfection as viewed by an individual perspective.. perfection is not universal

• trevor
    trevor

My English teacher told me that there was no such thing as perfection because that would mean that there would be no room for improvement. I disagreed with her and said so.

From a human point of view, which is the only view we have, if something completely fulfils a need, then it is perfect for that moment. There is , such a thing as a perfect moment. Things will continually advance and the process produces many perfect moments and items. Of course, accepting something as perfect is subjective and based on the opinion of the one who makes the judgement.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Something doesnt have to be flawless to be perfect

I'd like to disagree agreeably. On an emotional level I felt my newborn children were perfect, 18 years later I understand how wrong I was!

Perfection exists as a concept but I'm not sure we can ever express it physically - can any machine produce a truly perfect circle? It's a genuine question as I honestly don't know. I'm sure tolerances get finer and finer but in the end isn't it all a meaningless, infinite, regression?

Perfection isn't necessary for happiness.

Nic' - blissfully, imperfect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit