Do you think it bothers elders, to know they can not control us now?

by free2beme 33 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Last summer I went to a wedding of a relative that is a Witness. We're not disfellowshipped or disassociated, but have been inactive for about ten years. Because no one mentions our history to others, very few members of our relatives congregations, even know we used to be Witnesses. At the wedding though, my family and I set down at a reception dinner table and got our food and began to eat. The wedding was not held in a Kingdom Hall, and although an elder conducted it, it was not the typical Witness wedding feel. Well we were sitting there, and the group at our table were all "worldly" but dressed nice and cleaned cut. We were all eating and this man, who I know was an elder in relatives congregation, comes over and tries to get us to move as apparently someone else wanted to sit there and were promised as saved seats. When we came in, nothing was on the table, and we had been there nearly an hour. Apparently these were ones who helped set up the reception hall, and choose the seats while doing that. Well, one of the men at the table with us spoke up and said, "we all have our food, were settled and I am sorry but there was no one hear before we got here. Were not moving." The elder seemed irritated, and walked back to these people and I could tell they were upset. He comes back and states, "brothers, this is very unloving, do you think you could work with me on this?" ...

~ So that we do not look like asses, I want to explain there was no reserved seats and two of the couples had babies that were settled in with high chairs. There was nothing showing people had been sitting here. The couple waiting had other places to sit, they just were a couple known in the congregation and used to getting their way ~

... The same man who spoke before, who apparently was our table spokesman, again mentioned that we were settled and pointed out other tables. The elder said something I found amazing, "what congregations are you in?" This elder was looking to report us, can you believe that? He was frustrated that he did not have control, and wanted to take steps to report us. I spoke up, "We're not Jehovah's Witnesses." The man turned and it seemed he worked out the issue and the people set elsewhere. The table all stared at each other for a minute and then almost at the same time, people all started asking "what did it matter what congregation we were in?" or "what was that about?" I spoke to my relative later and she laughed, as apparently she did not care for the elder or the people who came. They kind of self invited themselves anyway by volunteering to help set up and spent most of the time during set up, chasing their out of control children around. So she was not upset.

Yet here is this example of something, elders do not like losing their power over you. Yes, they kick some of us out of the congregation, but down deep they hope they still have some control over you and everyone. When they don't, it frustrates them to no end. So anyone else deal with elder situations like this?

• serendipity
    serendipity

I'm sure it bothers some elders that people don't bow down and kiss their feet.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

EEF U DO NOT COMPLY, VEE VILL REPORT YOU TO HEADQWARTERS. VEE HAVE VAYS OF MAKING YOU OBEY. VWAT CONKGREGATION DO YOU BELONGING TO? VEE WILL NOT PUT UP WIT DIS SUBORDINATIONS ANY LONGER! SCHAU ME UR PUBLISHERS CAWD NOW, DO YOU UNDASTAND?

HERR ELDER.

W.Once

• greendawn
    greendawn

It does because they lose members that were before obediently working to promote the interests of the WTS. Ex members that may well turn against the org and procede to undermine it. They turn allies into enemies and that has to be frustrating.

• blondie
    blondie

What I found amazing that after he found out these people weren't JWs, he still kept trying to exert authority over them in a very unchristian way (big surprise). He probably made sure those people would have or would continue to have a bad view of JWs.

I initially thought the question would deal with trying to control people they knew were JWs. I find that the elders are more afraid of inactive JWs because there is no official shunning of them (unofficial but that is another issue). I find that inactive elders and MS come in for more attention too. Actually, elders and MS who stepped down but still attend (not the elder body's idea), are carefully watched too.

Blondie

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Free2beme

Yet here is this example of something, elders do not like losing their power over you.

That's for damn sure. They're just a bunch of useless turds, that are used to getting their way. The second you cross them. It's "and what congregation are you from". Just like the clergy class who are used to getting the best seats in the house. Screw them!

Dismembered

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Double post. Sorry folks

Dismembered

• BlackPearl
    BlackPearl

Really,...isn't all about the control? Without that they've got nothing, absolutely nothing. I sort of chuckle at this because MOST elders, not all, but most, have lives outside the congregation that they cannot control, therefore, the need and desire for control. For example, being a subordinate at a job, being subordinate to their wives, being subordinate DO's, CO's and PO's, being subordinate to other elders and the list goes on. The ONLY thing they can control is the common publisher or whomever else they think that they can control.

It's just like the woman who recently posted on here, that a couple of elders "visited" (more like a gestapo check up) her at her place of work. They knew they had a "captive audience" with her, she couldn't leave, she couldn't speak her mind, she couldn't do anything, therefore...they were in control. And with this poor woman, they will continue to be in control until she takes it away from them. It's a sad thing, and I don't think Jesus and his Father would approve.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Blondie,

Right you are. Being an Ex I find that they are like sharks to chum when I walk in. I haven't for a year or so now, but when I did I was public enemy NO. 1. They were scoping me and watching me closely. What was I up to? Nothing usually. Just confirming some social contacts among the brutha hood.

W.Once

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Interesting comment

They're just a bunch of useless turds, that are used to getting their way. The second you cross them. It's "and what congregation are you from".

That is what the elders asked in SOL's Recorded Appeal thread. SOL had a brotherâ„¢ with him who happened to be wearing a beard.

The elders asked him what congregation he's from. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit