Comments You Will Not Hear at the 4-23-06 WT Study (Load)

by blondie 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• upside/down
    upside/down

As always... a pleasure to read.

THX!

u/d

• mathead
    mathead

One of the best warptower studies I ever had!

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous
    Why do I get the feeling that the WTS is trying to "massage" the rank and file to accept another change in a major doctrine?

I feel the same way, Blondie. It seems they're taking longer to build up to it than usual, though.

"So she began taking of its fruit and eating it. Afterward she gave some also to her husband when with her and he began eating it." (Genesis 3:6) Eve's choice was based on selfish desire. Her action led Adam to join her.

Hmmm... According to the Bible, Adam alone is responsible for the "fall." Eve was "deceived." And most Bible translations other than the NWT makes it clear that Adam was there, with Eve, and said nothing during the "snake's" pitch. And, this contradicts their statement later that each person is responsible for their decisions, not someone else.

Jehovah speaks to us through his inspired Word, the Bible. We must study the Scriptures and acquire accurate knowledge of them.

They don't specifically mention themselves, here. I wonder if it's a CYA move, an effort to have something in print they can point to and say, "See, we only advocate listening to the Bible."

Essential to the decision-making process is our inherited faculty of conscience.

Since when have JWs been allowed to live by their consciences? That's exactly why I had to leave.

For example, would a Christian who is a self-employed contractor bid on a job that involves painting one of the churches of Christendom and thereby share in helping to promote false religion?

No, but it's OK to take their money. My old congregation, too, sold their old Hall to a church.

The early Christians were encouraged to show consideration for the consciences of others so as not to stumble them. Our decisions should not make us "causes for stumbling."-

Oh, really? So why did the congregation my mother's in take offense at the suggestion that they be a little less enthusiastic about their perfume/cologne, knowing my mother could have a life-threatening asthma attack from it, that there's a sister who's on oxygen who needs to avoid it, that there are others who experience a great deal of physical pain if they're exposed to it? The majority in the congregation knew all that and couldn't have cared less.

If we suffer in some way despite having made a right decision, we can be confident that Jehovah will help us to endure and will bless us in the end.

Unless, of course, that "right decisions" means leaving the Org, in which case you deserve as much suffering as they can heap on you.

• ?me?
    ?me?

is it just me or does the WTS try to "say " something withOUT saying anything? like when they bring up examples (of a contract to work in a church or answering phones for gambling), they try to word it like it is bad without actually TELLING you "DO NOT DO THIS"? i re-read it and i did not see where it actually gives the answer,sssooooooooooooooooooo, i will take that as a "consious matter" for me to decide for myself...........

because i don't think they would ever DF you for actually doing either of these things, just maybe talk to you and try to pressure you to not do them, or consider you "not exeplary?" i work on churches, but i do not answer phones at gambling places,,,,,,,,,,,,, i gamble at them....

sorrying for the spelling,, it is late, and the beer is talking.... gotta get up in 6 hours to go see how this WT study plays out in real life...

thanks blondie for the entertaining review...

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Great stuff Blondie.

Consider, for example, a boy named Joel. He symbolized his dedication to Jehovah and was baptized at nine years of age.

That article is now 10 years old - so young Joel is now 19 - wonder how he feels now? Maybe the WTBTS should do follow-ups of these youngsters.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Midwich;

Would they dare lift the curtain and see what prepubescent baptism has wrought? I doubt it, but it would be fun to see "Joel" turn out as a goth.

Of course I really think most of these good examples written about in the mags are fabrications.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Cyd - are you suggesting that little Joel never existed lol

It would be counter-productive to seek out these little dublets, they would no longer be able to use them as shining examples I think.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

BARF!

this is the kind of passive aggressive bullying my parents learned from the WTS and used on us kids our whole lives.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't do this or that, but I would be very happy if you chose this route." Then if you went against there choice you were emotionally bullied for weeks.

I still shake my head at these articles. How the heck did I ever believe this stuff???????!!!!!!!

thank you Blondie! -been getting our yard in order also. Spring is here and I love it!

• xjwms
    xjwms

Blondie

another excellent review

I like the highlight of next week. Its the "what to watch for".

Thanks again.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is an article that will be music to the ears of the old time dubs who can remember the articles on concsience back in the seventies and have despaired at the black and white manner things have been presented of late.

IF it were carried out then each Christian would be responsible for his actions, within reasonable Bible laws governing the serious matters. But it is still open to interpretation as to what is a requirement and what may be a conscience matter.

Nb If I had been reacting to this article as a dub, it would be clear that the GB are saying that there are no right or wrong answers to the q's posed in para's 11 to 13, about employment, or para 10 about specific acts of association.The decisions are said to be "Our own load of responsibility"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit