Kids referring to older ones as AUNTIE or UNCLE

by lowden 26 Replies latest jw friends

• lowden
    lowden

I don't know about other patrs of the world but in the UK, youngsters were expected to refer to older ones as AUNTIE or UNCLE. I didn't like this at all!! I publicly told my children NOT to do this, i thought it was reeeeally creepy. My main reason for this is that i think it creates trust in people that are strangers to the family unit and for some kids, it's part of the grooming process for molestation. Kids trust people that they see as auntie or uncle. I think it's very sinister and much more appropriate to refer to older ones as simply Brother or Sister. in the non specific Brotherhood sense. I just wonder who started this trend.

Peace

Lowden

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

My ex and I taught are kids to refer to one person (a good friend of my ex's as Auntie, and non-family member). The only other people that got an affectionate title were there Godparents (Nino & Nina).

• KW13
    KW13

i agree its not right, before stepdad became stepdad, he was uncle xxxx...i thought he was cool till he moved in lol.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh I hated that. I had 1 uncle that was 5 years older than me. He had two more brothers and a sister that were younger than him. I was going to the same school as my aunt and the youngest uncle and they were in the same grade as I was. Only the oldest uncle insisted I call him uncle. Terrible thing was that he WAS my uncle.

It got easier once I had kids because I felt more comfortable saying Uncle to my daughters (his 2 daugters were just a couple of years older then my 2 girls).

But based on that experience I hated using some family "title" on any one else. "brother and sister so-and-so was just fine by me.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I dont even let my nieces or nephews call me uncle, I like them to use my first name. "Uncle" just makes me feel old and weird....

• pisces
    pisces

This is one thing that I always found weird when visiting England. When I was about 17 I went to my grandparents congregation with them and one of the first persons to come up and introduce himself was a middle aged man. My grandma told me to call him Uncle W******. Note, I had never ever seen him before and he was not related to me, so I felt odd. He must have sensed that because straight away he told me I could just call him W******. Where I live we maybe refer to relatives as Auntie and Uncle, but not usually anyone else.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Come to think of it it IS quite creepy. I was always told to call everyone above around 25 Uncle or Aunty so-and-so, it was just normal to me.

Even a few years after my step-mum married my dad, i still called her Aunty ******, i didn't realise they were so annoyed at it, until a family-meeting was called to analyse my reaction to the whole re-marriage thing.

There came a time when was too old to call everyone Uncle or Aunty and just started to use their first names, which felt weird. I still refer to some older ones who i knew way back then as "uncle" or "aunty", depending on how old they are, and how long i've known them.

Don't y'all in the US do that?

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

My daughters friends call me father or dad.I love it.

• hubert
    hubert
    "Uncle" just makes me feel old and weird....

Are you saying that I'm "old and wierd"?

I resemble that remark !

Hubert

• glitter
    glitter

It's commonplace in the North (Peter Kay even has a bit about it), it's not a specifically JW thing. I think it's polite, a little five year old calling an adult "Brother So-and-so" is creepy. I still call my mum's friends "Auntie".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit