Wow, didn't expect this

by mavie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• mavie
    mavie

Well, got a call from my sound assistant...to see how I am doing.

This brother suffers from frequent feelings of low self-worth and is actually one of the people my wife and I feel comfortable talking with. He asked where I have been...I said taking care of my wife. I told him that my wife has expressed the very real possibility she will hurt herself to me...and that I couldn't live with myself if I was giving a talk at the congo and that happened. He didn't know how bad this was.

Then he said that there are times when he just wants to give up and stop being a JW! But he always reasons his way out of it. When I started to miss the meetings, an elder told him "we can't use Mavie for the sound (as the overseer), you will have to do it." Well, this brother didn't like that...more responsibility. That is the reason he wants me back, he doesn't want to be an MS...at least not right now.

Then he began to pour his guts out to me about wanting to quit sometimes, and not wanting to fake a smile and conversation when feeling down at the meeting.

I was pretty open with him, as he was with me. We will see how this develops.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greeetings Mavie

Hey keep us posted.

Dismembered

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Wow Mavie..a kindred spirit...

I hope your wife will be ok and gets proper help for depression if that is what's going on.

It can sure be a shock when people you think are solid as rocks in the org come out of the closet.

Blessings~Kate

• mavie
    mavie
    It can sure be a shock when people you think are solid as rocks in the org come out of the closet.

I think the entire congo is shocked right now. They don't know what to do. Also, I assure you Kate, the depression is real....too real.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

There are lots of ones like that in the org.

I was one. As an Elder you had put up a smile and be "happy". I could not take that any longer.

Welcome. Again.

-wac Xelder Xbethelite

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Amazing how things are eventuating for you. Be careful with what you say, as he could have a sudden pang of guilt and discuss with the elders your comments.

When I was in full time service I assumed everyone was happy as JWs. It was only when I started going slack that people began to open their true feelings, it is very eye opening.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I think this is good for you, however I would echo the concern, I have been in a situation where I thought we were 'exchanging' feelings about the JWs, but later found it had all been reported back as me being the one who was stirring things up.

Many people get down and get doubts, but it takes a strong person to actually get out. And you may find yourself disappointed (as I have been several times!) that people cannot seem to see there is another way.

I've heard so many people quote that scripture "to whom would we go"... they just dont know what to do beyond the witnesses.

Thinking of you.

poppy

• James Free
    James Free
    I have been in a situation where I thought we were 'exchanging' feelings about the JWs, but later found it had all been reported back as me being the one who was stirring things up.

I know an elder who did this all the time, appear to agree, but really baiting the hook to catch a fish. That's why so many Witnesses keep their true feelings to themselves. FEAR.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I second jwfacts. Just be careful. Also, be careful not to compromise your health in the process of taking care of everyone else. You can only do so much. I know for dudes it is hard to admit that you cannot do it all. But guess what YOU CANNOT. The sooner you accept it the better of you will be. Take your time to figure out what is best for your family and you. Don't let anyone try to tell you that you are being selfish (i.e., elders know to say someone is being selfish in order to get more out of them) if you decide you need to not do as much as you were doing in your hall then say it and stick to it. Guilt does not serve a purpose in our lives, ever. Guilt is just a club that is used to beat people upside the head with to get them to do want a person wants. Good luck!

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

Mavie -

I too have been "turned in" by these kindred spirits. I would be cautious if I was you, but such conversations were so eye-opening to me. I used to feel like I was the only one that had feelings of not wanting to be witness.

Did you share this conversation with your wife? If you did, what were her thoughts?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit