I can't believe I missed it (puke alert)...

by Hecklerboy 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Quotes
    Quotes

My thoughts exactly: someone actually used the JoHo press release! Must have been a dreadfully slow news day. Or maybe the editor died of a heart attack and his nicotine-addicted pet Chimp took over for the remainder of the day.

~Q

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

I attended a 1-day about 4 years ago, and only 1 person got baptsized!

• blondie
    blondie

ozziepost is right. Typically, each conventionn has a brother in charge of handling the press...they tend to pick a brother with higher education if they can. But the information is canned from Bethel, just change the location names a bit. The WTS likes to cut down on the wild card comments from randomly picked JWs, so this brother will select the JWs to make "proper" comments to the press. Most newspapers routinely provide space to religions holding conventions/seminars/larger meetings in the area. In this area there are at least 3 conferences of non-JW religious groups each year. Well-organized and nicely dressed people...ooops I thought that applied only to JWs.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is always tha hypocrisy they instruct the R&F to do things that they themselves fail to keep up to, keeping a clear spiritual vision what te heck? Do the GB have a charitable spirit and try to use some of their immense assets to help out their needy members?

Once more they are saying things as a businessmen they don't believe in them but they are good for promoting their business.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I think the reason they ran the article is because Summersville just spent a few million on a new National Guard Armory and convention center and they need to show that they are actually using the convention center for a variety of things. They've held a few gun show there and the Oakridge Boys are coming soon. Man won't that be a wild show.

On another thought, isn't it a little hypocritical for a religion that says you can have nothing to do with the military to be holding their conventions at a National Guard Armory?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Seven baptised eh? I wonder how many of them were kids who had been blackmailed into it by concerned parents. That seems to have been the norm at a lot of the more recent assemblies I attended, up to last year, with less getting baptised and a lot of them being kids.

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

"I sorta thought that having a baptism talk with no one getting baptised was a waste of time.---Ya think? I'm sitting here laughing! They still gave a talk about it though nobody was getting baptized?! If it was anybody but the jw's..."
    --------------------------------------------------------

About two years ago at my circuit assembly there was no-one to perform the bapdunking ritual on either...
    As the CO/DO must have seen the merits of the above-quoted logic, guess what...? They just brought in a volunteer from outside the circuit. They were honest enought to admit it from the platform though... Just a prime example of thinking outside the box (or circuit).
    VG

• inquirer
    inquirer

Why would they care there's only a couple of them getting baptized? They would say it's the last days... whatever trick they pull from their sleeves...

I saw a similar story in a local newspaper. And they showed a picture, color picture. :) :D He made me think they look like politicians (or business people) with the suits they wear! I wonder if they have ever thought of that themselves?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit