The Origin-of-Life Foundation, Inc. The Secret $1,000,000 Prize

by Deputy Dog 72 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

ellderwho

So, get god started just once. The fact theistic and nontheistic theories of origin of life are unprovable does not mean bronze-age goat herds were right.

Abiogenesis aside, evolution is so well supported its unreasonable to doubt the general theory; even if there are mistakes or revisons are made as new evidence is discovered, or methods of studying evidence are refined. Only people who know little about evolution think such things effect the overall validity of the theory demonstrated by the evidence. It's not a question of being fundamentally wrong or right any longer. It's a question of getting better.

There is no credible alternative theory to explain the diversity of life around us; especially not ones with magic sky-men involved. And drawing a line in the sand at abiogenesis is a really bad idea, as I wish you a long and happy life and am pretty sure there will be such proof within your lifetime. If your belief in god is based on abiogenesis being impossible and they then go make life in a lab you have problems. If your idea of god is bigger than that of the aforementioned goatherds, you won't be bothered

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

ew

So who wants to be the millionaire?

Apparently not Abaddon! It seems he would rather insult us poor, dumb creationists. Abaddon Still won't admit you start with your own presupposition, oh well.

I'll listen to those worshipping their literal interpretation of accounts written by Bronze Age pastoralists (that modern science falsifies) chuntering on about abiogenesis with considerably more interest after they present a theory of abiogodesis that doesn't involve unprovable assertions (god is outside this Universe and the laws don't apply/god has always been here and had no beginning). Without a theory to validate their own beliefs they act as if the lack of a definitive theory of abiogenesis actually means their beliefs are correct.

There you go again mixing science and philosophy. I'm glad to see that you do have "beliefs".

It is idiotically simplistic thinking, and is identical in its validity to the beliefs held by those religionists who still worship rocks and put bones through their noses.

What do you worship? Yourself? It's also rather simplistic to think that life can come from nonlife when you can't define life in the first place. Trying to define life, is among other things, a philosophical problem. So maybe you would like to tell us what you think the reason for the universe is. Instead of trying to insult us all the time, why don't you help us dummies understand why they would want to keep this quiet? Maybe while you're at it, you could help out your friends at The Origin of Life Foundation (who think at least a couple of creationists have good questions), and answer some of the problems.

Although it is publicly claimed that Intelligent Design is totally without merit , The Foundation recognizes that the Intelligent Design arguments are compelling and must be answered. The Foundation says,

In all known phenomenological life, genetic code manifests

• the conveyance of a functional coded message, using a sign system, to distant sites through an information channel to energy-consuming decoding receivers - ribosomal "machines,"
    • symbolic, indirect representation of that message from one alphabet into another (e.g., codons of nitrogen base "language" being translated into the end-product of physical amino acid sequence "language.")
    • prespecification of extremely unlikely and complex future events (see Dembski in suggested readings below) suggesting "apparent intent," "apparent planning," or "apparent purpose." (as Richard Dawkins describes it, "apparent design"),
    • instructions capable of effecting and affecting many individual manufacturing processes, and of mediating the cooperation of all of those diverse processes toward the one organismal and seemingly "conceptual" end of being and staying alive, and
    • the ability of that information (instruction) not only to give the directions or orders of what should be done, but to bring to pass those orders in the form of actual physical molecules, products, and life processes.
    • the seemingly "irreducible complexity" argued by Michael Behe (see suggested readings below)
    • the initial writing of this prescriptive information by nature, not just the modification of existing genetic instruction through mutation. [italics in original, emphasis supplied]

D Dog

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    So, get god started just once.

So there, nanny, nanny boo, boo. Apperantley you dont like the onus. Or are not qualified to handle, said starting. If you think my belief re: starting of life is ridiculous then get it started for me, and please do not rely on "newspaper evolutionism."

The fact theistic and nontheistic theories of origin of life are unprovable

Hey genius, there's reasoning in the corner of the round room.

• caeomas
    caeomas

Its easy to find water in moon

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

elderwho

So there, nanny, nanny boo, boo. Apperantley you dont like the onus.

LOL. Look, it is up to YOU to explain YOUR presuppostions. You are acting like there is proof of god, or a vlaid theory of how god came about. There is not. If you assert there is a god, prove it, don't partake in Shining One style intellectual dishonesty, you're better than that. Aren't you?

Or are not qualified to handle, said starting.

Even Microsoft Word would tell you that is a fragment of a sentence. When you finish it, I'll reply to it fully. Someone with your level of knowledge about evolutionary biology really shouldn't talk about qualifications, by the way; it's likely to make you look foolish and hypocritical.

If you think my belief re: starting of life is ridiculous then get it started for me

And what removes the same onus from you other than your complacent, primative, unproven belief in a skyman?

and please do not rely on "newspaper evolutionism."

Oh, I don't. The fact you have to misrepresent my argument (i.e., effectively lie about what I say) says more about the validity of your opinion than you'd probably like it to.

The fact theistic and nontheistic theories of origin of life are unprovable

Hey genius, there's reasoning in the corner of the round room.

Why do you want to make yourself look bad? Any fool can tell you have absolutely no argument of worth, only bluster and resentment. Engage in the discussion rather than imitating the vain posturing of such illustrious posters as hooby and Shiney, or be regarded as seriosuly as they are.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    EW:Or are not qualified to handle, said starting.
    Even Microsoft Word would tell you that is a fragment of ;a sentence.

I guess the "tongue and cheek" manner of my sentence was lost.

You gotta remember your dealing with ID-ots.

Anyway, back to the sentence, and your answer.

EW: " or, are not qualified to handle the question of how life started.

When you finish it, I'll reply to it fully.

Remember, keep it simple for us dumb creationist.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Abaddon - though I admire your persistence, surely you must recognize that the creationists are the poster children of the old axiom, "you can't reason people out of what they weren't reasoned into in the first place."

Though it does humor me that creationists like to try and say that a lack of evidence for abiogenisis or evolution disprove evolution, a complete and total lack of evidence of theism is perfectly acceptable to them. In addition, their argument that something as complex as life must have a creator falsifies their own argument because a god would be required to have a creator too.

But alas, arguing with the creationists using reason and logic is like herding cats.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Deputy Dog

It seems he would rather insult us poor, dumb creationists.

Oh, don't blame me for what you bring on yourselves. The people who resisted what was obviously and demonstrably scientific fact and carried on insisting the Earth was at the Centre of the Universe or was flat were stupid, not through any problem with their brain but because they simply weren;t willing to accept change or even examine the evidence against old 'theories' with an open mind.

Why should Creationists who resist equivalently demonstrable scientific fact be different to those who did it in the past? Evolution is a fact, get over it. Either god used natural means to shape 'creation', so it LOOKS like it evolved, or it evolved without any 'help' from god. Science education is so poor, especially the history of science, that few realise Darwin's theory filled a vacuum, as geology had already advanced to a point where it was realised the Earth was far older than any literal interpretation of the Binble would allow. Creationism wasn't even credible BEFORE evolution, that's how obviously wrong it is!

Still won't admit you start with your own presupposition, oh well.

Why do you make yourself look like someone who didn't have the courtesy or wit to read what I wrote?

I effectively say I'll listen to Creationists et.al. acting like the lack of a definative theory of abiogenesis means that there must be a god when they can explain the origin of god without invoking special pleading. Where's the presuppostion? Are you using school-ground tactics of taking a phrase applied to you and throwing it back without any real consideration of its appropriateness? Or being misleading about what I say to make your argument more credible?

It's also rather simplistic to think that life can come from nonlife when you can't define life in the first place.

Man, I took WAY too much drugs at University. I could have sworn that my Biology lecturer started the first lecture with a definition of life that works quite satisfactorily until you get to Prions. Funny how when discussing such topics with Creationists and ID-ots, defintions of 'evolution' and 'life' are where they try and make some ground as they have so little else to play with; like not ONE fact pointing to the existence of a paranormal entity that instigated or shaped the Universe.

So maybe you would like to tell us what you think the reason for the universe is.

A true presuppostionalist; you assume there is a reason; why?

Instead of trying to insult us all the time, why don't you help us dummies understand why they would want to keep this quiet?

Actually, you seem to miss the blithe assumptions of a generally hidiously informed group of people are what is insulting...

Maybe while you're at it, you could help out your friends at The Origin of Life Foundation (who think at least a couple of creationists have good questions), and answer some of the problems.

Ah, okay then... but hang on, every single one of those is an 'argument from ignorance' ... they say "that the Intelligent Design arguments are compelling and must be answered", yet what you've posted are just bland statements of fact (with the exception of Behe who I deal with momentarily) imlying there must be a magic sky man in there somewhere as it's complicated. They are not testable theories or even hypothesis that would indicate ID is true.

"ooooo... how did that happen, it's complicated, godidit"

... is not a scientific argument, it is a logical fallacies.

the seemingly "irreducible complexity" argued by Michael Behe (see suggested readings below)

Sorry DD, the inclusion of Behe and an oft refuted theory of his shows just how little research you have personally done on this isuse, plumping instead for a nice easily digestable website that suits your preconceptions. He's been proven wrong, down to the specific examples he gives. If you had tried you could find falsifiactions of his hypothesis online. I guess you have also missed him admitting under oath in Australia that his definiton of a theory would allow astrology to be taught alongside ID in schools? Do you see why posts like yours get laughed at? Both the above facts are easily found online - but you and other defenders of primative belief systems don;t look long or hard enough to see the leading lights of the ID community are empty vessels, as are their hypothosis. You just look for what you agree with and act like your opinion is as valid as someone who'se explore both sides of the argument.

Doesn't the fact that defenders of Creationism and supporters of ID-otism chiefly use cut and paste to make their argument give you a fricking HINT about how much they personally know?

You have found a website that defends something you want defended, you are impressed by its presentation and can't see the smoke and mirrors as you simply don;t have suffiient backgroun in the biological sciences do do anything other than taking things on faith.

AH... but then isn't that what you want to do? Take things on faith? Go ahead! Have the courage to admit to it; stop pretending there's a scientific basis for what you would LIKE to be true; no one's going to stop you having your own opinion, it's just when you start trying to have your own facts that people shout 'foul'!

ellderwho

You can't even say, "whoops, typo" can you? First rule of the Creationist supporter; never admit error. How credible is that?

"or, are not qualified to handle the question of how life started."

Who said anyone was? Abiogenesis has not been demonstrated yet, although there are promising leads. That doesn't mean evolution is wrong, or that abiogenesis is impossible.

But you ignore the point your alternative theory doesn't even HAVE promising leads, it's just the same assumption primative cultures made when they couldn't understand something dressed up in new clothes that have no substance whatsoever.

jstalin

Ah, I know that... it's not for them, it's for the people who didn't know either way and can see the Creationists and ID-ots are the ones full of hot air by the way they respond to discussions such as this. I regard ID-ots and Creationists as teaching aids, like an over-head projector or white-board.

Though it does humor me that creationists like to try and say that a lack of evidence for abiogenisis or evolution disprove evolution, a complete and total lack of evidence of theism is perfectly acceptable to them. In addition, their argument that something as complex as life must have a creator falsifies their own argument because a god would be required to have a creator too.

Very clearly put, not that those its directed at generally have the intellectual honesty to see what they do for what it is. They try to rubbish the qualified opinion of 99.9% of the International scientific community and get all sniffy when they're lampooned for their lack of knowledge and arrogance.

• ellderwho
  • ellderwho
    ellderwho

You can't even say, "whoops, typo" can you? First rule of the Creationist supporter; never admit error. How credible is that?

Ooooooooo, whoops typo, feel better. Oh yeah Ive seen you admit error before, dude, admit this you gotta a major axe to grind with the skyman believer. You musta got lumped up big time by a Christian somewhere in your purposeless life.

Credible? is that what makes you yourself credible because you've publically admitted error?

You claim you have a feel on the pulse of the international scientific community. Want to make another false claim. Or admit your wrong to bulster your credibility. Whatever dude.

There's so much sh*t/ as well as worthy, written in scientific journals, dont act like you know and or reviewed everything thats been written.

I state: "get life started once" whats your typical knee jerk response. School ground tactics as you acuse others: "get god started once"

So back to your camps $1,000.000 offer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit