Woman with a flat tire. Would you have stopped to help when you were a JW?

by ObservingTexan 36 Replies latest jw friends

• ObservingTexan
    ObservingTexan

In the light of the second greatest commandment, "love your neighbor as yourself", when you were an active JW would you have stopped to help in the following scenario?

You are in your car and drive by a woman who is having car trouble... a flat tire. She's struggling to get the tire changed. She clearly needs help. You assume she is not a JW. Would you have stopped?

• free2beme
    free2beme

Depends, did she have a Watchtower in her back window? My mothers friend used to do this on the way to assemblies, she felt it helped her attention from others Witnesses to help her if she broke down. In reality though, I would not have stopped as a Witness. As a non Witness, in this modern world, I am a little reluctant too, although I would probably pull up and ask if she would like me to call someone for her on my cell phone and not get out of the car.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Yes, I would help if I could ..... but I would have in my previous life too. Surely that's down to an individual's make-up and not religion? I see a lot of threads like this, are JWs actively discouraged from helping people?

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Yep I would have stopped off. Its nothing to do with religion, more to do with being a decent human being.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yep I would. I stop and help anyone. I'll even help a bloke which I can't say all men do. (had a man stop to help me once, then drove on saying "sorry I thought you was a woman"!!!

• luna2
    luna2

I'd be more inclined to offer the use of my cell, like free2be. Nothing to do with being a dub to my mind either. As a woman, I feel a bit cautious about helping strangers because there have been instances where breakdowns and such were used as a lure.

Lived on a military base once where women were being raped by some guy who'd acquired an MP uniform and a flashing blue light for his car. Kind of changes how you look at things.

• blondie
    blondie

I would have stopped even if it was a man. If it was late at night.....only if someone was with me, otherwise I would have called the police and alerted them.

BTW, I did stop and help a woman when I was a JW...had the tire changed in 10 minutes. Lugnuts had been put on too tight the last time the mechanic worked on the tires.

Blondie

• ballistic
    ballistic

Blondie, make sure you put them lug nuts back on tight. I actually had a wheel nearly fall off once because they weren't done up tight enough. If you don't have a torche wrench, this is traditionally done with a few thumps to the socket. They are sometimes done up over tight by use of pneumatic ratchet.

• merfi
    merfi

Heck yeah, I would have stopped. But I would hope that she knew how to change the tire and I could just help, as this is one of those things I've MEANT to learn how to do but so far haven't. Anyway -- yes, I would have stopped and offered whatever assistance she needed. Sad to say, I would have probably mentioned something cheesy like being "on my way to/from a Bible study" blah blah, so able to count 'time' of some sort.

Now, I would still stop, but without mention of anything JW.

~merfi

• blondie
    blondie

Yah, I know ballistic, been changing tires since I was 11.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit