Letter to Mom (for your review)

by ringo5 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ringo5
    ringo5

No this isn't really an "outing " letter, but it might make her think. She already knows I'm not going to meetings, and we've had discussions about the possible extent of the flood , so she knows I'm on the edge . Which is probably why she picks out articles in the watchtower and sends them to me. I have been avoiding the subject in our e-mails but thought, this seemed to be as good an opportunity as any to raise some questions .

so here's a letter for your review...

Hi mom, sorry with the tardiness of my reply. Okay no excuses. xxxx seems like a total jerk but you probably already know that. I hope Dad knows what he’s getting into with this guy, because I’ve had my share dealing with unstable people and it can get out of hand pretty quickly.

Yeah, I got the watchtower that you sent me. I guess I’m not quite sure why you sent it to me. Do you mind me asking?

The article “walking In the path of increasing light” did make me think. The first subheading “Enlightenment leads to organizational refinements” talked about that 1922 assembly with the “Advertise, Advertise, Advertise” slogan. The point seemed to be that a refinement was made in the primary day that the witnesses called on people, as Sunday was deemed more productive.
    Can I ask you, was that refinement spirit directed or God directed? The reason I ask is that are you aware of what was being preached at that time?

*** jv chap. 7 p. 78 Advertise the King and the Kingdom! (1919-1941) ***
    “Unrealized Hopes Are Not Unique to Our Day”
    “We may confidently expect,” stated the booklet Millions Now Living Will Never Die, back in 1920, “that 1925 will mark the return [from the dead] of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the faithful prophets of old . . . to the condition of human perfection.” Not only was the resurrection of faithful men of old expected in 1925 but some hoped that anointed Christians might receive their heavenly reward in that year.
    The year 1925 came and went. Some abandoned their hope. But the vast majority of the Bible Students remained faithful. “Our family,” explained Herald Toutjian, whose grandparents had become Bible Students about the turn of the century, “came to appreciate that unrealized hopes are not unique to our day. The apostles themselves had similar misplaced expectations. . . . Jehovah is worthy of loyal service and praise with or without the ultimate reward.”—Compare Acts 1:6, 7.

*** jv chap. 28 p. 632 Testing and Sifting From Within ***
    In the lecture “Millions Now Living Will Never Die,” delivered by J. F. Rutherford on March 21, 1920, at the Hippodrome in New York City, attention was directed to the year 1925. On what basis was it thought to be significant? In a booklet published in that same year, 1920, it was pointed out that if 70 full Jubilees were calculated from what was understood to be the date when Israel entered the Promised Land (instead of starting after the last typical Jubilee before the Babylonian exile and then counting to the beginning of the Jubilee year at the end of the 50th cycle), this could point to the year 1925. On the basis of what was said there, many hoped that perhaps the remaining ones of the little flock would receive their heavenly reward by 1925. This year also was associated with expectations for resurrection of faithful pre-Christian servants of God with a view to their serving on earth as princely representatives of the heavenly Kingdom. If that really occurred, it would mean that mankind had entered an era in which death would cease to be master, and millions then living could have the hope of never dying off the earth. What a happy prospect! Though mistaken, they eagerly shared it with others.

What do you suppose God would be more interested in adjusting, the message which was in error, or adjusting their schedule so that this “misplaced expectation“ could reach the most people possible? These are the kind of questions that I ask myself and I’m hoping you’ll understand why I generally keep these things to myself.

Back to the article, do you suppose you’re in for some “new light”? I can recall a few times receiving “new light”. The least one time I was a little disturbed by it…. But I guess that’s my problem. While doing a bit of research in this area, I found I could relate to this article…

*** g70 4/22 p. 8 Changes That Disturb People ***
    Changes That Disturb People
    THE churches are in rapid decline. Even in the United States, where religion still enjoys perhaps the greatest popularity, nearly three out of four persons polled said that it is losing influence. Why is there this decline in religion?
    One of the reasons is that people are disturbed by what is happening in their churches. Yes, millions of persons have been shocked to learn that things they were taught as being vital for salvation are now considered by their church to be wrong. Have you, too, felt discouragement, or even despair, because of what is happening in your church? A businessman in Medellín, Colombia, expressed the effect the changes have had on many.
    “Tell me,” he asked, “how can I have confidence in anything? How can I believe in the Bible, in God, or have faith? Just ten years ago we Catholics had the absolute truth, we put all our faith in this. Now the pope and our priests are telling us this is not the way to believe any more, but we are to believe ‘new things.’ How do I know the ‘new things’ will be the truth in five years?”
    What are some of these changes that disturb people?

Love,
    xxxxxxxx

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Wow, bold. Is she ready for it?

I miss Douglas Adams.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Great letter, a gentle way of easing her into the realisation that you have no faith in the Watchtower Society. I liked the idea that you used Watchtower articles to explain your points.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

You're bolder than I am, and I personally wouldn't send it. I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie, but that's just me.

The only points I ever bring up is that when mom mentions stuff about different ones in the hall being mean, or treating her bad, I just say, "see, that's just not showing love." Then when she sighs about "this old world" and things I may be going through, I remind her that the JWs are no better and no different than "the world".

But that's just me.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I think the letter is excellent, humble and asking her opinion rather than acting like you already know the answer.

We all know how difficult it is to reach those really entrenched in the faith, but sometimes a seed can be sown which will grow at a later date.

(might have picked that one up at the meeting, guess some stuff does filter through )

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    The only points I ever bring up is that when mom mentions stuff about different ones in the hall being mean, or treating her bad, I just say, "see, that's just not showing love." Then when she sighs about "this old world" and things I may be going through, I remind her that the JWs are no better and no different than "the world".

I use this tact with my JW relatives and wife all the time. One of my in-laws married "in the truth" and not more than 3 months later, based upon his statements, she turned into a psycho -bitch with more bones in her closet than an indian graveyard. Of course, I'm sure he had a few "bones" that found their way out of his closet too.

They'e now seperated and are trying to pit the brothers in their respective congregations against each other for one of them to obtain the "scriptural" divorce they'll need to get married again.

I've seen this time and time again, "hovahs" marrying each other and as soon as the newness of the "cootchie" wears off, they're left wondering "WTF"!!!!!

Proof enough for me that they're no better than the worldlies they're always talking about.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

That is an excellent letter ringo5, very respectful and not forcing your opinions on her, but rather inviting her comments.

I hope it makes her think a little.

• The
    The

Hi,

I like the tone of your letter.

I also like the simple reasoning and valid questions you ask.

" The "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit