Your acts of kindness

by greendawn 19 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

I regularly visit my mother and try to be kind to her though she was a horrible mother and is still totally self-centered. I also allow my "ex" to see our daughter, I treat him civilly and am at times even supportive of him, though he was little more than a sperm donor and doesn't really deserve this.

• Scully
    Scully

Not too long ago, I called after some guy left the ATM without taking the money he'd just withdrawn and returned his money to him - it was a big wad of $20 bills too. There was another chap at the kiosk who noticed what I did and told me that he didn't know if he would have done that, and then he said that he believed in Karma and my good deed would not go unpunished.

There was one time when I was in a generous mood when picking up my tea at the Tim Hortons drive-thru, and I told the cashier that I wanted to pay for my order, plus the order of the person in line behind me. It was less than $5 all together. The next time I went there, the cashier told me that I'd started a chain-reaction of people paying for the folks next in line that went on for over an hour. I thought that was pretty cool!

• Mary
    Mary

I helped a friend get $50,000 from the government after she was infected with the Hepatitis C virus. They denied her the money at first and she was going to drop it, but I told her to give me the paperwork which she did.

I worked alot on her case (I shoulda been a frigging lawyer!) and bugged the holy hell out of whatever government official I could get a hold of on a regular basis. Given my religious upbringing, I seemed to have an uncanny knack of ignoring their protests of "we're not interested" and basically harassed them until they ponied up the dough. One of the best moments of my life was when I got the call from the government saying that "after careful consideration" they were going to give her the money (anything to get me to go away I suspect). I immediately phoned her to tell her the good news. She was stunned beyond belief and given the fact that she was a single mother, she certainly could use the money.

Another friend of mine had a daughter who got ripped off by her landlady and the old bat wasn't going to give her the money back that she stole. She was from some place like Romania or Lithuania and I was pretty sure she wasn't here legally, so I phone a friend of mine who just happens to be a Justice of the Peace to explain the situation. One phonecall from the JP and the landlady couldn't wait to give the money back she stole.

Soooo......I'm not sure if these are "acts of kindness", or maybe I'm jes a beotch who doesn't like to see injustices happen to my friends.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    what's a beotch?
    There was one time when I was in a generous mood when picking up my tea at the Tim Hortons drive-thru, and I told the cashier that I wanted to pay for my order, plus the order of the person in line behind me. It was less than $5 all together. The next time I went there, the cashier told me that I'd started a chain-reaction of people paying for the folks next in line that went on for over an hour. I thought that was pretty cool!

Hey is that like when you drive through the toll booth and pay for the guy behind just to watch his confused reaction? ... or when you toss out a handfull of pennies to watch the schoolkids scramble for 'em? ... or try tossing coins into a buskers hat from 15 yards out? ... no I guess not ..I was a bad unc .. a very badunc..

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Green Dawn,

Your thread made me think of a Oprah show I saw a few months back. She asked that everyone to do one act of kindness for another person per day. Then write it down in a journal. Maybe it would be a smile to someone, a "hello", a wave. It might be helping a elderly person put their groceries into their car, or taking their cart for them. I decided to try this. It seems the elderly especially appreciate this kindness, since so many times they are forgotten, and pushed aside by younger ones that live such fast paced lives. I didn't journal it, but I really tried to show true Christianity by displaying love. It made me feel great!! The responce was amazing!! I encourage all of you to try it if you haven't. There truely is more happiness in giving then recieving!!

Sincerely,

Lady LIberty

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

We installed a wind and solar-powered computer lab in a remote school in Fiji, and set up a workshop so that they can make their own light systems using solar power. As long as they give up a few nights of kava to save up for a battery, they'll have free light for life.

• Mulan
    Mulan

When you hear of a neighbor or a stranger who is just home from the hospital or ill, make a meal for them. I've done that and it feels really good.

I sent flowers to my daughter in law's mother a month ago, when her mother died. She sent me a lovely note, telling me pink was her mother's favorite color and how could I have known that. They were the first flowers she got after her mother's death and she truly felt they were a message from her mother, through me. That was pretty neat. I was glad I made the effort to do it.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Hmm, this feels a little weird – parading my "good works before men" (Matthew 6:1) -

But, you know, if we keep quiet about the good that we do, it allows our friends to think the world is colder and unkinder than it really is.

OK.

• I've developed a habit of dressing dollar bills with magical spiritual oils just in case a homeless person hits me up. Sometimes I get caught offguard with undressed bills, so I carry a bottle of Lucky Thirteen oil in my purse and dress it on the spot, say a prayer based on Psalm 145:16 and hand it over. Today I got to do that for a deaf man; you should have seen his eyes light up when he saw the label on that bottle.

Yeah, ballistic, I know a dollar won't get a homeless person off the street – but a spell well-crafted prayer might.

• I give to charities where I can, $25 here and there – CARE, the Southern Poverty Law Center, the Tipitina's Foundation... I'm thinking of Heifer International next.

• And then there was the time I gave blood. What a huge spiritual rush that was! Maybe I should do that again, now that I'm living less adventurously, so to speak.

• On a smaller, quotidian scale, I just try to think of sound reasons for the people around me to be happy, and point them out when I get the chance. I'm teaching my workmate, who's had a long run of poverty and bad luck, never to say "I could never do that" without adding the word "today."

gently feral

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Well, I bought my husband a Delphi receiver and paid for XM radio for the truck. He loves it!

• lynnmelo
    lynnmelo

I think helping to relieve somone of their loneliness is one of the kindest things one can do. There are so many lonely people in the world. IMHO, the biggest irony that occurs on many of the major holidays is that people become so insular. I've known so many families that look askance upon anyone who suggests inviting a needy or lonely person to holiday dinner ("This is a time for family, though"). I'll admit that I don't exhibit this type of kindness enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit