Your acts of kindness

by greendawn 19 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

What do you consider to be some of your greatest good acts to help family members or other fellow humans?

• ballistic
    ballistic

I believe in karma, and that you constantly give out vibes to all the people around you. This does not mean you are under obligation to street beggers to give them money - who you may not actually be helping, but it may mean if you see someone in need of something specific, you may make the world of difference to them.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

The kindest thing I did for my family was move a very long way away .. my five sisters have since found other men to harrass

Karma is good as is helping people learn self sufficiency of body and spirit. One of the best gifts is to offer someone your ears for an hour or so. There is often too much talking going on and not enough listening.

Why can't I get a nice even sized font on this machine ... calm unc ... calm! .. turns tibetan chant up a notch ..ahhhh 'ts better now.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I also agree with Karma. I also started volunteering at mission houses once I stoped associating myself with JWs. Often times they are run thru a church, so when I was a JW it was a huge no no, so I never did it. I also have done pro bono work for a catholic youth home. But to me the most important thing, is being a good friend to all the people I call my friends. I think it is important for people to know that regardless of what is happening in their lives, I will always be there for them with no judgments, only love.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hmmmm so you want me to pat myself on the back?

The WTS says that those who leave lose all moral sense. Personally I think that once I was free to follow what I believe was right and good (and not follow the dictates of an org that want time sheets) I was better able to reach out to those who needed help.

At the end of my JW life I sat with a sister in the cong who was dying. Her real sister and I held her hands as she took her last breaths. It was painful to watch her die but I cannot think of any other place I should have been at the time.

I know in my work after I graduated from college and university I helped many people as they took the steps they needed to recover from horrendous abuses as children. I held them, wept with them, laughed with them, cheered for them and watch them grow one small step at a time. Many times there were a lot of tears and many times I went to bed at night wondering how some people could be so evil to little children. I feel privileged and honored that these people shared their saddest, scariest and most secret stories with me.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    I think it is important for people to know that regardless of what is happening in their lives, I will always be there for them with no judgments, only love.

It's very important and a damn shame a certain religion we know doesn't acknowledge, accept and teach the importance of unconditional love. It's really not that hard but I guess you have to be a peace with who you are first, not thinking of yourself as a flawed needy being.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Sorry, I've got nothing. I better work on that.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Yup, Unc, JWs don't teach unconditional love which to me is what f's up everyone. It is actually a catch 22, JWs teach we are imperfect therefore we are sinful .... if you are sinful you cannot be loved unconditionally .... only based on god's great mercy will a JW be saved in the end. Therefore, no matter what you do it is not enough. Unfortunately, many religions teach this theory as well. But some of them allow people to become forgiven of their sins if they do [fill in the blank here]. JWs don't have that policy, so if you are one you are pretty much screwed.

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

One of my all time favorite scriptures is one that says to not let your one hand be aware of what the other is doing. I understand that to mean to do all good acts as quietly and privately as possible and tell no one what you have done.

So, I guess my best acts of kindness were the ones that were quickly forgottem by myself.

cab.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Sorry, I've got nothing. I better work on that.
    Thanks for sharing brother IP_SEC .. very kind of you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit