Sexual Functions 'Unclean' and the 'control of sexual passions!'

by Gill 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

I found tha the Question From Readers was a very misleading article when it came to 'controling of sexual passions between husbands and wives. The article is as follows:

June 2006 Watchtower

In the Mosaic Law, why were certain natural sexual functions viewed as making a person 'unclean'?

'God created sex,both for the reproduction of the human race and for the enjoyment of married couples. (Genesis 1:28, Proverbs 5: 15-18) In Chapters 12 and 15 of Leviticus, however, we find detailed statutes concerning uncleaness ascribed to seminal emissions, menstruations, and childbirth. Such laws given to ancient Israel fostered a healthy lifestyle, unheld lofty moral values, and stressed the sanctity of blood and the need for atonement for sins.

The Mosaic Law's requirements concerning sexual functions promoted, among other things, the general health of the Israelite community. The book of The Bible and Modern Medicine states: 'The observance of the menstrual cycle with the prescribed period of abstinence from cohabitation proved to be an effective preventive against certain sexual diseases... and also a definite deterrent in the formation and development of cervical malignancies.' Such laws protected God's people from diseases that might have been unknown to or even undetectable by them. Sound sexual hygiene increased the fertility of a nation that had been blessed by God with a promise of increase and prosperity. The emotional health of God's people was also involved. By obeying these laws, husbands and wives learned to control sexual passion.

The paramound issue involved in the types of uncleaness resulting from sexual matters, however, was the flow or loss of blood. Jehovah's laws regarding blood impressed on the minds of the Israelites not only the sanctity of blood but also the special place that blood occupies in the worship of Jehovah, namely, in sacrifices and atonement for sins.

The Laws detailed requirements in this respect therefore, are closely related to human imperfection. The Israelites knew that Adam and Eve - after their sin - could not bring forth perfect children. All their descendants would suffer from the effects of inherited sin - imperfection and death. Because of this parents could transmit only imperfect and sinful life, even though human reproductive organs were originally designed to pass on perfect life through the marital arrangement.

The Laws purification requirements would thus remind the Israelites not only of their hereditary sinfulness but also of the need for a ransom sacrifice to cover sins and restore human perfection. Of course, the animal sacrifices they offered did not accomplish that. The purpose of the Mosaic Law was to lead them to Christ and help them appreciate that it was only by means of Jesus' perfect human sacrifice that true forgiveness was possible, opening the way to everlasting life for faithful ones.'...

Problem 1 with this article is in the first sentence .....'married couples'. The Jews practiced polygamy and therefore a man had multiple sex partners.

Problem 2 is in the phrase 'The emotional health of God's people was also involved. By obeying these laws, husbands and wives learned to control sexual passion.'

The only one have to 'control sexual passion' was the wife. If wife 1 was not available for nuptials, hubby could go to wife 2 or 3 or a concubine. What sexual passion did he have to control.......NONE!

Since prostitution did take place in those times how was any of this supposed to protect from sexual diseases. It didn't!

Usual WTBTS BS!!!

• ballistic
    ballistic

hmmm, how does one go about getting a concubine these days?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    book of The Bible and Modern Medicine states: 'The observance of the menstrual cycle with the prescribed period of abstinence from cohabitation proved to be an effective preventive against certain sexual diseases... and also a definite deterrent in the formation and development of cervical malignancies.'

What a load of BS!

Josie

• luna2
    luna2

I can picture you with a bevy of concubines, ballistic. You might need a bigger place.

Gill, its always the women who are supposed to have control. According to the WTS, men are weak and must hustle to get married at a young age so they won't touch themselves (much) or run amuck, committing fornication all over the place. I guess they don't think women are tempted by the desire for wild, hot sex (much).

A friend of mine and I were talking about this not long ago. We were two of the many Watchtower nuns for whom there was very little chance of finding a loverly JW husband. For us there was no sex ...not if we didn't want Jehohum angry at us or were afraid we'd be tossed out of the congo. At any rate, we both remember being stunned at a visiting speaker one fine Sunday morning, who suggested that men take their wives on business trips entailing their absense from home for more than a night so that they wouldn't be tempted to have sex with some prostitute or female co-worker (or bartender or airline stewardess or 7-11 clerk). I mean, how could a lusty man be expected to control himself for a few days?!

I still get mad when I think of that stupid talk. Don't bring the wife because you enjoy her company or because she might be lonely at home or because you think she'd be tickled to go on a little trip with you....Nooooo, bring the old ball and chain so you have a safe, convenient place to stick it should the urge for sex come upon you. Real nice. Always felt very sorry for that guy's wife.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Now just hang on a minute there girlie!.. lol .. nah you're right luna - it's a mysogynes religion to the core. Even Jesus told his mother to piss off. To satisfy one woman thoroughly (even a watchtower nun) would be enough for me these days

faithful husband unc

:::

bro ballistic; concubines, belly dancers, cigarette girls, fire breathers, singing gysies, fortune tellers, sexy floozies, exotic lap dancers, flying carpet salesmen and arab wives are available here:
    zestfactor

• Scully
    Scully
    'The observance of the menstrual cycle with the prescribed period of abstinence from cohabitation proved to be an effective preventive against certain sexual diseases... and also a definite deterrent in the formation and development of cervical malignancies.'

I wonder what the heck they left out?

Abstinence during menstruation and the first 7 days following the end of menstruation prevents which "certain sexual diseases" exactly?? None that I'm aware of.

And how, pray tell, would it 'deter' " the formation and development of cervical malignancies"? There is some evidence to support the claim that women whose sexual partner(s) is(are) circumcised have less risk of developing cervical cancer than if the partner(s) is(are) uncircumcised, but I don't know of any evidence that would support the claim that abstinence during menstruation and during the week following menstruation has any benefits for women or men.

(off to do a literature search)

• ferret
    ferret

luna

I cannot believe someone would say such a degrading thing in a public talk. It is degrading to both sexes. First that women are viewed as just a sexual object and second that we men do not have any self-control, or even do not love our mate enough that we would cheat on her. I think it is totally disgusting.

• Scully
    Scully

oh my gawd.

I googled the book title and found some used, out-of-print copies available for sale on Alibris.com.

The book was published in hardcover in 1953. Paperback versions date to 1967. Using 39- and 53-year-old reference works is pretty much a no-no in professional and academic circles.

I'm with Jonesy on this one:

What a load of BS!
  • Scully
    Scully
    In the Mosaic Law, why were certain natural sexual functions viewed as making a person 'unclean'?
    'God created sex,both for the reproduction of the human race and for the enjoyment of married couples. (Genesis 1:28, Proverbs 5: 15-18) In Chapters 12 and 15 of Leviticus, however, we find detailed statutes concerning uncleaness ascribed to seminal emissions, menstruations, and childbirth. Such laws given to ancient Israel fostered a healthy lifestyle, unheld lofty moral values, and stressed the sanctity of blood and the need for atonement for sins.
    The Mosaic Law's requirements concerning sexual functions promoted, among other things, the general health of the Israelite community. The book of The Bible and Modern Medicine states: 'The observance of the menstrual cycle with the prescribed period of abstinence from cohabitation proved to be an effective preventive against certain sexual diseases... and also a definite deterrent in the formation and development of cervical malignancies.' Such laws protected God's people from diseases that might have been unknown to or even undetectable by them. Sound sexual hygiene increased the fertility of a nation that had been blessed by God with a promise of increase and prosperity.

No, dingbats, men being allowed to have multiple wives and concubines increased the fertility of the nation.

The emotional health of God's people was also involved. By obeying these laws, husbands and wives learned to control sexual passion.

As previously mentioned, the men didn't have to control anything. If wifey #1 had a headache or was banished to The Red Tent there was always doormat #2 or #3 or #4, etc.

The paramount issue involved in the types of uncleaness resulting from sexual matters, however, was the flow or loss of blood. Jehovah's laws regarding blood impressed on the minds of the Israelites not only the sanctity of blood but also the special place that blood occupies in the worship of Jehovah, namely, in sacrifices and atonement for sins.

Oh, yeah. I totally forgot that they had conventions back then too. Where everyone, even the little kids, would stand for 8 days while the priests gave talks like "How God's Laws On Blood Protect Jehovah's Servants" and explained all this doctrinal stuff for them. Silly me.

The Law's detailed requirements in this respect therefore, are closely related to human imperfection. The Israelites knew that Adam and Eve - after their sin - could not bring forth perfect children. All their descendants would suffer from the effects of inherited sin - imperfection and death. Because of this parents could transmit only imperfect and sinful life, even though human reproductive organs were originally designed to pass on perfect life through the marital arrangement.

The Law's purification requirements would thus remind the Israelites not only of their hereditary sinfulness but also of the need for a ransom sacrifice to cover sins and restore human perfection. Of course, the animal sacrifices they offered did not accomplish that. The purpose of the Mosaic Law was to lead them to Christ and help them appreciate that it was only by means of Jesus' perfect human sacrifice that true forgiveness was possible, opening the way to everlasting life for faithful ones.'...

Purification rituals were "symbolic". They highlight the superstitious and paranoid nature of Israelites and the "god" they worship.

• greendawn
    greendawn

This reply they gave shows how anachronistic and out of touch with the modern world but also with the biblical world they are.

But as a matter of interest prostitutes were forbidden in Israel though what need would the males have for them as they were permitted to have concubines apart from having many wives. They certainly didn't have any law obstacles to their sexual desires.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit