Dressing for Jesus or the friends at the Memorial?

by truthseeker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I've noticed on many Memorial nights that the sisters will dress up like they're going to the Oscars. Some seriously look like they're going to a prom.

Do they dress for Jesus or the friends to impress each other?

What is it about Memorial night? I mean, you don't do anything, you pass the plate and cup and listen to a 60 minute indocrination program.

The time spent afterward is chasing down bible studies because you want to leave early, or they'll chase you because they want to leave early.

I noticed that there is really very little time for quality association, many of the conversations were either brief and intense periods of love bombing, either inactive or interested ones, or just general 60 second chit chat move on to the next dub sessions.

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

I remember the flurry of "what are you wearing to the Memorial" talks between sisters in the weeks approaching the "big day". It was pretty silly, when you think about it. I looked forward to the opportunity to have an excuse to buy a new dress. I'll freely admit that.

Looking back, I can only judge that since Witnesses have denied themselves of anything that remotely resembles a holiday (i.e. Easter or Christmas) they try to compensate by making such a big deal out of what they wear to this one event.

In my old cong. large groups of people (in the right "clicks" of course ) would go out to dinner afterwards. This was when the spiffy dressers really got a chance to show off their duds and their superior attitude to everyone else in the restaurant.

Gag me.

• blondie
    blondie

Some families don't have a lot of money and this is a way to get permission to splurge: memorial, assemblies, conventions, similar to getting new school clothes.

Others have the money but feel they can't splurge for just an ordinary meeting.

I know brothers who have $1,000 suits and $500 shoes and make sure you know it.

Blondie

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

You know, that was the 1st thought as i sat there. Damm! I could not recognize some sisters, they looked hot. Other ones looked bad ... too much foundation or whatever it is, these looked ghostly.

like blondie says - they splurge on occasions like these ... oh well

• carla
    carla

My jw got all new threads and a haircut.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think they get excited because this is their only religious ceremony in the year, where they can experience something different from the usual meetings and assemlies. It breaks their religious monotony.

Other religions including the Jews and Christians have several important religious dates for celebrating and for ceremonies.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

i think Jamelle has it right...they are compensating for not having any other holiday, celebration or tradition to dress for. when i was growing up in the borg i always thought it would be so great to be able to wear a formal dress or gown but there was never an ocassion for it and i certainly never (gawd forbid!) went to a prom. i never wore over the top attire to any meeting, assembly or memorial but i did enjoy shopping for new dresses. what else was there?? btw, to this day i've never gotten to wear a formal gown (unless you count my wedding dress).....maybe i'll crash a local prom. :)

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

Yeah...it felt like I was at a Fashion Show last night...all these ladies dressed in fancy dresses or nice skirts/tops...men in nice suits. They all looked at each other up and down. Since it was my first time and I'm not JW, I wore slacks and blouse. It seemed as if women were only wearing skirts, though.

See, if they were so true to the Scripture then shouldn't they be wearing robes and sandals?

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

That always drove me nuts! Especially the wealthy ones. Come in wearing their Frilly dresses and those stupid hats that you cant see over! And then look at you funny cause you arent wearing a new dress!

• Woofer
    Woofer

I agree with the others . .it's because we never get to celebrate anything.

In my family we always made a big deal about wedding anniversaries also. . only because there are not many occasions where we can give gifts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit