Hello..we're those TERRIBLE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES!!!

by lowden 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lowden
    lowden

Inspired by Scully's thread it made me think of what one elder used to use as his opening introduction in the ministry, which was the above statement. It's very funny now, but at the time i was like..'WHHAAAT??' He thought it would put them at ease, make them think we had a sense of humour. Thing was that he never, ever changed it in the 6 years i was in that cong'. Another guys intro was.....wait for it........'How would you like to ride on he back of an alligator??' WTF!!! C'mon, more crazy intro's or whacky ministry stuff.

Peace

Lowden

• garybuss
    garybuss

Most Witnesses here introduce themselves as "Bible Students" rather than Jehovah's Witnesses because Jehovah's Witnesses have a terrible reputation here and Bible Students are mostly unknown and that equals a good reputation by comparison. Privately the Jehovah's Witnesses call the Bible Students evil slaves.

Jehovah's Witnesses I know are not proud to be Jehovah's Witnesses at the door, at work, or at play. The only place they really strut their stuff is in the clubhouse where manners and sanity are both dispensable.

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

When people would come to the door and say "I'm not interested" - I would respond: "Well, that's too bad. I was giving away hunderd dollar bills!!"

I dont think that was listed as a response in the "Reasoning from the Scriptures" book. Shoulda been!!

• schne_belly
  • AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

One older gentleman I worked door-to-door with a lot in my youth often opened with, "I am here to discuss the best life insurance you could ever get, and all it will ever cost is your time."

I used to think it was a pretty effective ice-breaker.

I now know that what he was actually saying is, "I have a wonderful hope for after you die, and all it will cost you is your current life."

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Hmmm...when I wanted to be sure that people would just close the door and I wouldn't have to speak (wich is everytime I went door to door)...The easy way was to start with :

"Hello, my name is Liliane and this is my friend __________, we are Jehovah's Witnesses...." most of the time, I didn't have to add anything more and the door closed, and I was happy.

• rebel8
    rebel8

In pio school I had to go in fs with an older man who's tactic was to agree with everything the householder said, and I mean everything. Example:

"JWs are a cult and I would never join."

"Exactly!"

"You beliefs are crazy, your children are abnormal, and you don't believe in Christ."

"Exactly!"

"You mean to tell me you agree with me? And how do you like the idea of me telling all my neighbors what you said?"

"I am not here to disagree with you. We know how people feel about us."

This went on for a while until the householder vented every angry word he had to say and stopped, stumped as to what to do next. Then the guy would proceed with his presentation, not responding at all to any of the negative things said, except for saying, "Exactly!"

• Genesis
    Genesis

LoL @ LiLy, at the end I said the exact same thing to keep peoples closing their door ! Many witnesses were doing that in fact, maybe its a "Quebecois" trick...

Joff

• lowden
    lowden

I like that one Rebel8. As if people didn't think us weird enough without that sort of crazyness. I used to think that the 'Hello we're here to offer you a FREE HOME BIBLE STUDY' intro' was hilarious, i mean who the hell is gonna say 'oh YES PLEEEEASE'.

Peace

Lowden

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

a friend of mine would say....good morning we have been asking people what they think they will be doing in 600 years time

surprisingly it was quite effective

i remember being well frustrated with constant knockbacks one afternoon...so i told someone they had won the pools..(british lottery type equivalent)...she said really and before we could say no she went dancing down the hall and told her husband..at least we had the nerve to stand our ground and tell her we were only joking and explain why we did it and ..you know what she listened and all her family became jws and her and her husband (who forgave us uneqivocally) became circuit and district overseers and last i heard had just been invited onto the gb........ok i made the last bit up

good times

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit