Britney's baby suffers a fractured scull - taken to hospital 6 days later.

by Elsewhere 31 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    It is sad to say that the "trailerpark" stereotype still crops up now and then. Like most stereotypes there are examples of individuals who fit it, but for the most part the use of the trailerpark stereotype is simply the cliche'd linguistic crutch of those who can't express themselves better.

Well, having grown up in the South and still living in the South, I can tell you that the trailer park sterotype is alive and well.

I'll admit that there are "nice" trailer parks as well. I've known people who lived in them and they were not white trash and they laughed about the stereotype as well.

However, the stereotypical trailer park outweighs the non-stereotypical park by a long-shot, at least where I'm from.

This will be politcally incorrect as hell, but...how do stereotypes come to exist? Did someone just make up something bad about a group of people and it caught on? Or did enough people of a certain group of people act in such a way so as to give a bad impression of the entire group to others? I think that enough people act in such a way so as to bring that stereotype on the group. It may not be fair of all the people in the group, but enough of them act in the stereotypical way that people recognize it and comment on it.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Elsewhere:

The question is not whether Stereotypes have a kernel of truth or observation contained within them, for they often do, but rather the question is are we willing to be above using them and also are we careful when we do use them that they are appropriate.

Sometimes for humor and less often in anger they may be appropriate, but most of the time it is not appropriate to stereotype.

This is what I found on Britney's childhood which seems to indicate that she didn't have anything like what fits the trailer-park stereotype:
    Born on December 2, 1981, Britney Jean Spears was destined for stardom. “Even as a little baby, Britney was a real darling…she was always being noticed.” Says Lynne Spears, Britney’s Mom. Lynne has even said that Britney was dancing around at the early age of two. In fact, Britney’s parents believed in her abilities so much that Lynne would drive two hours everyday just so Britney could attend gymnastics classes. Although gymnastics was a fun pastime for Britney--the uneven bars and floor exercise were her favorites--she found that she wasn’t nearly as strong as the other girls and although she practiced over three hours a day, the moves didn’t come near as easy to her. Giving up on gymnastics was a total loss, however, as Britney soon found out that it had developed her skills as a dancer. Changing her goals, the future queen of pop performed at her first talent show at the early age of six. By the time she was nine, she was already traveling around to different dance competitions performing in the jazz lyrical dancing category. Gymnastics and dancing at an early age wasn’t the only preparation she did for her future career--Lynne has said that Britney could be found singing all the time. The song “What Child is This” was her first key to stardom--she sang it at her kindergarten graduation. It wasn’t until later that Lynne realized that Britney could have a future in singing, when Britney was bouncing around on the trampoline. On top of Britney’s singing and dancing as a young child, she also competed in beauty pageants. At five she won first place in the Kentwood Dairy Festival; at seven, she was awarded silver first-prize for Miss Talent USA. And that’s not all--the Spears’ home is filled with other trophies Britney has collected over the years.

The Mickey Mouse Club was Britney’s first real taste of success, but initially she wasn’t allowed on the show because of her age. The producer of the show knew talent when he saw it, though, and set Britney up with an agent in New York. Britney spent three summers at the Professional Performing Arts School Center and appeared in a number of off-Broadway productions. Her first real lead was in a comedy called Ruthless. In 1992, Britney left Ruthless and landed a spot on Star Search. She won the first round, but was beaten by another contestant in the second. This setback didn’t deter Miss Spears, who knew in her heart that she was destined for greater things. Finally, Britney returned to audition for the MMC again; except this time she was offered a job! Along with Justin Timberlake, JC Chasez, Christina Aguilera, and Kari Russell, Britney rapped, sang, and danced through over 110 skits on the show. After two years, in 1994, MMC was canceled, leaving Britney to wonder what was next.

Britney tried the “normal” kid thing for awhile, but by age fifteen she couldn’t stand being out of the spotlight anymore. She started out by recording several songs on a homemade demo and then returned to the person who had helped her out before: Entertainment Lawyer Larry Rudolph. Rudolph immediately set Britney up with Jive Records. After listening to her tape, Jeff Fenster, senior vice president of artists and recording for Jive Records, said, “she was intriguing, so we had her come in and audition for us in person.” What did she audition to? “Jesus Loves Me” and “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston. After her performance, everyone in the room was amazed and Britney was immediately offered a recording contract.

Shortly after, Jive went to work on Britney’s first album. The eleven tracks on her freshmen album were recorded all over the world: from Sweden at Max Martin’s studio to New Jersey, where she worked with Eric Foster White. After the production on her CD was finished, Jive set forth on promoting their newest artist. Months before her album came out Britney’s name was on teenager’s lips everywhere. She even embarked on a mini-tour throughout malls in the US to promote her yet-to-be released CD. Britney then landed the coveted spot as *N Sync’s opening act on their 1998 tour. But, that was only the edge of the iceberg for Britney.

In late December 1998, Jive Records released Britney’s first single “…Baby One More Time” and by January, it was a number-one hit. Britney’s album debuted at number one shortly thereafter, paving the road for one of the world’s biggest stars. Unfortunately, in February 1999, Britney’s luck took a turn for the worst. While filming the video for her second single, “Sometimes,” Britney tore cartilage in her left knee and was forced take a brief break to have surgery. After she was done recuperating, Jive immediately set her up with her own headlining tour sponsored by Tommy Hilfiger.

From then on, Britney’s career has been a roller coaster ride.
    ---------
    Legolas: Believe it or not most parents don't rush into the emergency room with every fall or tumble that a child takes (though I have one friend that does.) And it is not true that a doctor called to the home would automatically prescribe an x-ray if his physical examination did not reveal any outward signs of physical injury and if the baby was not showing any signs of neurological injury or abnormality. Most likely in the absence of such evidence, he would caution the parents to monitor and observe the child closely for the next few days and tell them to take the child into the doctor or the emergency room if there is anything unusual observed.

According to what has been reported, the parents grew concerned because the baby seemed to be sleeping longer than he did normally (a situation that I don't think would have caused concern in many people or experienced parents) and so their taking him in for further examination was actually quite cautious on their part.

-----
    One doesn't have to be a fan of Britney Spears, and personally I am not a fan - but neither do I loathe her, to be fair-minded about something like this.

-Eduardo

PS: I got the agency incorrect in my previous posting I thought it was DSS but evidently it was DFCP or whatever. no biggie.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I am not a Brittany defender...can't stand her, but I just heard a news report that told the whole story. The baby was taken to the hospital immediately after the fall. It happened while the nanny was watching. The baby was checked and pronounced ok and sent home. Over the next few days, Brittany noticed that the baby was not sleeping properly and the the baby was taken back to the hospital for the second time. They did not wait to take the baby for medical attention only after 6 days. It is normal for the authorities to check on the child after any serious injury. They are not in danger of losing the child.

Coffee

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

The media sure has a way of twisting things around to make them sound jucier then they really are:

altBritney Spears and Son Home Safely

Britney Spears's six-month-old son, Sean Preston, fell and hit his head on Saturday, April 1, at the Malibu home the pop star shares with husband Kevin Federline, a source close to Spears tells PEOPLE.

While the baby's nanny was lifting him from his high chair, something snapped in the chair and Sean Preston slipped from her arms and fell to the floor, bruising his head.

A doctor came to the house that day and examined the child; he seemed fine.

But six days later, Spears and Federline became concerned and took Sean Preston to Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center to have him checked out, the source adds. No serious problems were found.

Spears, Federline and their son are back home and doing fine now, a second source tells PEOPLE.

After the hospital visit, child welfare officials visited Spears's home accompanied by a sheriff's deputy.

"The Department of Children and Family Services called us on Saturday (April 8) and asked us to accompany them to the home of Mrs. Spears for their visit," Los Angeles County Sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Debra Glafkides tells PEOPLE. "It's very routine and common for us to accompany them."

According to Glafkides, the visit lasted about half an hour and no police report was filed.

The Sheriff's Department could not release any further information, and the Department of Children and Family Services generally does not comment on cases due to confidentiality laws.

"While there was an automatic report by the hospital to the Department of Children and Family Services, DCFS immediately responded

and determined there was no problem and no reason to open a formal investigation," Spears's attorney Marty Singer tells PEOPLE. "They determined that the parents were not involved in any injury and that nothing improper was done within the home."
    04/11/2006 16:11

I think its all about which story sounds more news-worthy

• undercover
    undercover
    Elsewhere:

The question is not whether Stereotypes have a kernel of truth or observation contained within them, for they often do, but rather the question is are we willing to be above using them and also are we careful when we do use them that they are appropriate.

I think you meant to address this to me...were you stereotyping me as Elsewhere?

My question was whether stereotypes have basis in truth or not. I'm not concerned with the PCness of whether to use them or not. But I understand your point.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I agree the first news story surely sounded as though Britney is a horrible mother. The 2nd does not. We will never know which, if either, is true.

I cannot ever remember even once Elsewhere saying anything related to stereotypes, so I give him the benefit of the doubt here. While "trailer trash" is probably not the best choice of terms, in my locale, it is commonly used to describe "white trash". Also around here, we have few if any decent trailer parks. By "decent", I don't mean wealth. I mean clean, respectful, livable places. The ones in my town are ghettos of the lowest caliber.

The use of the word trailer in describing trashy people could be likened to using the word ghetto. Saying "trailer trash" doesn't necessarily mean all people who live in trailers are trash (at least not to me), just a segment of the trailer park residents who are trashy. I agree "white trash" is a better term, but I don't think the word trailer was intended to be offensive or derogatory to all trailer dwellers. JMHO

After thinking & reading about this, I'm inclined to believe the "trash" term widely/commonly used to describe Britney is her seemingly lack of common sense and poor judgement when it comes to relationships & family matters....a prevalent trait in the "white trash" population, such as those we see on Jerry Springer etc.

Sorry, Elsewhere, if I came across snippy earlier. Didn't intend that at all.

• greendawn
    greendawn

With the money they have they should have treated their baby like a prince, but their behaviour reminds me of one of her songs, "you are toxic".

• Es
    Es

That poor baby should be removed from there care immediately. If that was the normal person off the street they would loose the baby. And isnt she pregnant again,

es

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

"Britney Spears" in forum "In the News".

Britney Spears Blames Lack of Gravity for Baby's Fall By Chip Hilton Apr 12, 2006, 08:50 MALIBU - Britney Spears told child welfare agents that her son's fall on April 1 was caused by a temporary lack of gravity, which is "emblematic of a larger crisis to come." The twenty-four-year-old pop star explained that she first learned of "the impending gravity problem" through her studies of Kabbalah, a Jewish mystical tradition. "Kabbalah teaches us that the world's supply of gravity is limited," said Ms. Spears, "and we are depleting that supply at an unconscionable rate. The United States, which is home to 5 percent of the world's population, consumes nearly 60 percent of its gravity. The air travel involved in one pop singer's tour alone uses more gravity than the entire eighteenth century. That's why I haven't been on the road in twenty months." According to Ms. Spears, Sean Preston's accident occurred when his nanny was lifting him from his high chair. The nanny playfully tossed Sean Preston into the air. To her dismay the seven-month-old child kept rising until he hit his head on the ceiling and crashed to the floor. "Fortunately Sean Preston was unhurt, but the incident brought home the gravity of the situation" said Ms. Spears. "Thank god this didn't happen outdoors." Ms. Spears told child welfare agents she was going to replace Sean Preston's high chair with a low chair, and she was going to take other steps "to gravity proof" her house. Those steps include laying pop-up toasters on their sides, shortening the strippers' poles in her husband's recreation room, and wearing a bra at all times. Don't try this at home. Sean Preston was examined by a physician the day his accident occurred. The physician said the baby had not been harmed by the fall. Ms. Spears became alarmed over the course of the next few days, however, when Sean Preston began exhibiting noticeable changes in behavior. "To be candid," said Ms. Spears, "we had been worried that Sean Preston was short-bus material. He was completely covered with hair until he was three weeks old, and before the gravity accident instead of investigating new objects by putting them in his mouth—as is developmentally appropriate for a baby his age—he stuck them in his ear. After the accident, he started putting things in his mouth." In addition, said Ms. Spears, after the accident Sean Preston started turning his head in her direction instead of the opposite direction when she called his name. Fearful that he might have suffered "a cranial insult," she took him to a local hospital for a checkup. "I was relieved to learn," said Ms. Spears, "that the changes in Sean Preston's behavior were consistent with normal maturational development instead of head trauma. Nevertheless, I still think I'm going to keep him in a helmet for a while. lisa (highlights myown)
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit