HOW MUCH DOES AVERAGE JW DONATE TO WT?

by badboy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

?

• free2beme
    free2beme

I did about $5-$10 per year. Not joking, I really did this little.

• JW83
    JW83

Yep, me too

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

bout $20.00 kept most of the offerings I got from the watchtowers and Awake.... I had to pay my coffee and donut at Tim Horton's you know...

I would say that my wife donates about $200-$400 a year.

And yet she has been "counceled" not to report this to the IRS under chairitable donations as the Government might try and get it from the WT. They use the "If you give give in secret", crap. But then they want you to report your crime.

• vitty
    vitty

We gave through the deed of covenant £ 30 a month i always felt we didnt give enough

They did say at one meeting that you "should" consider giving £2 per person per meeting............yeah right !

• greendawn
    greendawn

It sounds like a business, overall the WTS made a fortune out of the big donations many members made, large amounts of money and real estate, plus the time donated for free to sell their publications from door to door.

I never donated any money to them because I thought I was giving them enough of my time for free, plus I never really liked their lack of fraternity, and always perceived them as a cold, greedy and inhospitable society.

• Mary
    Mary
    2112 said: And yet she has been "counceled" not to report this to the IRS under chairitable donations as the Government might try and get it from the WT

WTF?? Not to take the Borg's side, but this has got to be a local thing.......we were always told that if we wanted a receipt for Income Tax purposes, to see Brother so-and-so. I never heard anyone ever say we should not report the donations (seeing at the WTS enjoys the "charitable" or "not-for-profit" status, why wouldn't they want you to declare it?

Any chance the local brothers are skimming this money?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Aust branch had $16,000,000 in donations last year from 60,000 publishers. That is an average of only $265 per person. I think that includes donations for magazines as well. It also includes deceased estates. So it looks like the average JW is very tight.

• blondie
    blondie

The accounts servants I have known over the years say out of 100 adult publishers monthly for the KH expenses (does not include "worldwide work")

$250 or over 5

$50 to $249 5

$10 to $49 10

under $10 80

So basically the same 20 people paid for the electricity, phone, lights, water, and the mortgage if there was one.

If the mortgage was paid then they put more of this money in the "worldwide work" box or actually gave less.

Some JWs realized that donating affected their tax burden significantly and if they gave $250 or more were sure to be "noticed" by the elder body because an IRS tax form had to be filled out.

Some congregations were always begging for funds to pay the basics and others had a significant surplus. While the CO/DO/WTS can make "suggestions" to give that to poorer congregations or the WTS, my experience is that the congregations hold onto the money.

BTW some congregations tie up that surplus in the maintenance fund for which an accounts report is rarely announced to the congregation in this area.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit