HOW MUCH DOES AVERAGE JW DONATE TO WT?

by badboy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

I did accounts for about 5 yrs and Blondie's post seems pretty accurate. Though in one cong. I was in it was more like 10 publishers paid most of the bills and the rest donated maybe $10-20 a month. The reason I know this is because people placed checks in the boxes so I could tell usually who gave what when it was a larger amount. As for myself at the height of my JWism I was probably one of those 10-20 who helped pay the bills lately I donate nothing and when the wife gives me $ to put in the box and keep it instead.

• z
    z

This was my question last night to my JW MS friend he said $800 I could not believed he is totally broke have no $$$ he asked me why you don’t donate to your synagogue??
    I said nope I don’t donate to any religion’s but I do to hospital, (we just build play ground on the roof for chronically ills kids the can’t go out so sad) and other charitable organization who help needed ones and I do but not in the name of god

Z

• uninformed
    uninformed

When we built a new hall back in the 90's the collective cong agreed to donate $1900 per month plus money for the worldwide work. (hey, neato, WWW--I wonder if any ever considered that coincidence?)

anyway, with roughly 100 pubs that would make the average about $25. Add that up into families and it went to $50 to $100 per family.

I think that is probably a close average.

u

• metatron
    metatron

In France, about $60 (US equivalent) a year. It came up in the court case in which the Society is illegally evading taxes.

metatron

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I was account servant™ there was one pioneer™ elder™ who often donated over $1,000.00 per month. He owned a window cleaning business and had several other pioneers™ working for him, so I suspect he was doing ok financially. There were a few who donated about $100 per month. Others donated around $20-$30 per month. Out of nearly 100 publishers™, only about 20 donated by cheque and were issued tax receipts. Anonymous donations accounted for about 10% of receipts.

I suspect most people were like me, and donated nothing.

W

• JH
    JH

I donated my car, my time, JW clothes I had to buy, my gas, and making a fool out of myself going door to door.

I helped some in the congregation with free rides to assemblies, and to the hall and financially too.

When it came to putting money in the contribution box, I didn't put much....Maybe 40$ a year??? and that was for my magazines also.

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

I went with the unofficial standard Catholic formula ($5.00 per family member per week) . Slip the priest(oh sorry) throw in a little extra for special occasion. I think this was so ingrained in my head it just carried over.

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, in the US, only one-time donations of $250 or more require a receipt.

Cash contributions of $250 and over require an acknowledgement that must be sent to the IRS with your tax returns

Separate contributions. of less than $250 will not be aggregated. ...

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

1986 Declared by United Nations to be "International Year of Peace," which caused much expectations with JWs about the expected declaration of "peace and security", a sign of the imminent end based on a special interpretation of 1Th 5:3. WT 10/1 1985 p18.
    Silently forgotten after 1986 [this was Danny's 3rd year of being guilt goaded to sending the Watchtower $1,000.00 month for the worldwide work ] THEY TRASHED MY CA$H

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I've done a few JW tax returns and the older JW's contribute on average about $350.00 per year. The younger ones maybe have a receipt for $25.00, and this year the one young couple had none and when I asked if they had any charitable donations this year they just kind of looked at each other and both said no at the same time! I soooo wanted to talk to them about it, but I'm not really known as a JW in this area except by a few people and didn't want to open up a potential can of worms.

From what I see of people that go to church, they give a whole lot more, on average about $2,500 or more for a family, about $500-$600 for a single person.

As for myself - I never donated. I'd always feel guilty walking past those donation boxes with an armful of "free" new releases at the assemblies.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit