Going to church

by poodlehead 13 Replies latest jw friends

• poodlehead
    poodlehead

I am definatly not a JW anymore. But what am I. My husband wants to find a church home, but everytime he talks about it the hair on the back of my neck stands up. I would rather have my teeth drilled. But I also know it would be good for our family to have a church home.

I think one of the problems is I definatly don't agree with a lot of JW doctrine. But I don't agree with other churchs doctrine either. What do I do.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I would suggest looking for a Calvary Chapel.

Go, sit, listen & relax.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Though anything cultic should be avoided like the plague and there are many such groups out there, I don't mind the mainstream groups. The ideology is not everything as long as they accept all the fundamental Christian beliefs, it is their behaviour that really matters if they seek to tightly control their members and impose things on them through emotional pressure they are no good.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Most of them have some things in common, little groups who like to control the church, they all want money, the preachers talk like they are inspired by something that makes them talk different from normal people.

Most of them have good intentions and do some good for needy people.

Some people fit right in, others don't.

I would rather stay home, sit in my backyard swing and contemplate what all this short life means, if anything.

Ken P.

• gumby
    gumby
    I would rather stay home, sit in my backyard swing and contemplate what all this short life means, if anything.

Hey Ken.....save me a seat next to you!

Gumby

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    Hey Ken.....save me a seat next to you!

I'm coming too!

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

I would look into other unitarian groups. You will probably agree most with their doctrines. I would say the most mainstream in the Unitarian Universalists. There are quite a few others(Laymans, Bible Students, Philadelphians). Many quakers have silent worship. I have never been to a Quaker meeting but I know they are very active and charity and if they are silent seems pretty easy to agree.

• yucca
    yucca

I agree with xjw. Find a Calvary Chapel . I wanted to understand the bible. I went to different churches and wasnt satisfied . Thats how I got mixed up with the JWS. I thought they knew the bible but when 1975 didnt happen and too many things happened that wasnt right with me. I faded away. Then like a miracle in 1992 I found Calvary Chapel . They teach the bible chapter by chapter verse by verse . I now have a personal relationship with Jesus. This learning process is still going on . The Bible became so exciting theres no other book like it.

• yucca
    yucca

I agree with xjw. Find a Calvary Chapel . I wanted to understand the bible. I went to different churches and wasnt satisfied . Thats how I got mixed up with the JWS. I thought they knew the bible but when 1975 didnt happen and too many things happened that wasnt right with me. I faded away. Then like a miracle in 1992 I found Calvary Chapel . They teach the bible chapter by chapter verse by verse . I now have a personal relationship with Jesus. This learning process is still going on . The Bible became so exciting theres no other book like it.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Freedman gave you some good alternatives if you do want to find a church home. The Associated Bible Students hold basically to Russell's teachings but don't blanketly insist that folks follow Russell to the letter. And they don't disfellowship for "apostacy" either. They are about the closest thing I know of to liberal in that movement. The Layman's Home Missionary Movement follow the teachings of P. Johnson, the man who tried to take over the Bible Student Movement in England when Russell died, and got shit-canned by Rutherford for his troubles. The Dawn Bible Students were a break away group from the late twenties who believe some of the stuff Rutherford taught before he really started tossing Russell's teachings by the wayside. they accept as authoritative The Finished Mystery which Rutherford had published as the "seventh volume" of The Studies in the Scriptures.
    Outside of the Bible Students, the Christadelphians, the Universalists, and the Adventists (not Seventh-Day) all hold basic beliefs that are similiar to the JWs. My point being that if you want somewhere to go, but you don't think the mainstream groups are theologically correct, there are alternative groups to check out. And I mean check out. I am sure that have no more desire than I to go back down the rabbit-hole. So check any group out carefully1
    Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit