Hello, I'm new - does anyone else feel the same as me?

by Zalrahs 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Zalrahs
    Zalrahs

Hello all!

I was raised in the JW cult from birth until I left when I was 18(I am now 34). I hated it from the beginning, but because my mom was SO STRICT, there was nothing I could do about it.(my dad didn't belong to the JWs but I didn't get much sympathy or support from him - he didn't want to "rock the boat".) What I'm trying to get at is this: does anybody out there feel like they want NOTHING to do with ANY organized religion? I still believe in God and I have accepted Jesus Christ as my saviour, but I don't want to go to any church because I don't trust religion. I don't want to feel controlled or suppressed anymore. For example, I can't think this way because I'm not allowed to, or I can't have any negative thoughts or emotions towards the "SOCIETY" because that would be turning my back on God. I went through 3 years of professional counseling for help with the anger and major depression I experienced as a result of being brought up that way. I NEVER want to go through anything like that again, therefore, I don't want to go to any church, but I feel that little twinge of guilt because I don't go to church.

Does anybody else know what I mean?

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Welcome!

Most people on the board feel like you do. Stick around you'll feel right at home here!

• dvw
    dvw

exactly. you are not alone. welcome z

• Spectre
    Spectre

Welcome!!!

Sit back and enjoy your stay.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I agree. I don't think that I'll ever be able to tolerate "organized" religion. I feel as Frank Lloyd Wright felt, that the Earth is my church.

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI zalrahs, welcome to the forum!

If I ever leave the JWs, I don't think I'd join a church.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Hello, I'm new - does anyone else feel the same as me?

hey man/babe,

ya, at one point or another, we've felt like you, or (for you lurkers), will feel.

you'll get through. it's out of your control. in the words of yoda: don't try; do.

cheers. PM me if you *ever* want to know more about atheism, evolution, debauchery or house parties/everyone-getting-together-and-doing-drugs.

best wishes on your journey,'

ts

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    What I'm trying to get at is this: does anybody out there feel like they want NOTHING to do with ANY organized religion?

Yes. If there's a g0d (a subject for a different day) I would hope that my group affiliations or lack thereof aren't of major concern to he/she/it.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Zalrahs - yes most people whether raised a JW or came in later but left, know exactly how you feel. I am sure with therapy the one thing they stressed to you was - you must do what is best for you. If something tears you down rather then builds you up, it is within your ability to walk away and know that it was in your best interest. Eventually, you will leave behind the JW thinking. It may tap you on the shoulder from time to time, but it will not have a strangle hold on your heart and mind. Give yourself time. It is like the morning process, there are steps to healing and you will have to go thru them all to make it a successful exit for good.

I wish you peace in your search.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Hello and welcome!

Yes, I know how you feel. I too was raised a JW. Never really seemed to "make the truth my own" for lack of a better term. I don't think I could ever join a church, but I do attend church from time to time. I sometimes feel the need to worship with others. The churches I attend really do worship! It's amazing to see actual worship, something I never experienced in a KH. It is a completely different experience.

You are now free to chose what you want to do, how you want to worship and with whom. Embrace it and find what's right for you.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit