Do you honestly think the Witness religion will end?

by free2beme 48 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I am also of the opinion that it will fragment in time...although the society I believe will still remain as a core.

While there is the sociological (almost pathological) motivation to control and to have power their will always be a place for organised religion...in particular the WTS.

DB74

• undercover
    undercover
    Jehovah's Witness as we know them today can only go on for about another 20-30 years tops. Then it will be painfully obvious then END is no where near and not coming.

The WTS has been around for over a hundred years preaching the imminent end of the world the entire time and nothing has happened. Prediction after prediction has been wrong and dropped. Doctrine after doctrine has been revised or dropped. Yet, the religion is still here. What's another 20 or 30 years? If their followers can't see it now, they aren't going to see it in another 20 years.

As long as people feel the need to have religion, then religion, no matter how illogical it's beliefs, will continue to exist. This includes the JWs. They'll adapt and they'll morph into whatever is necessary to exist. Doctrines will change, practices will change, but they'll be around.

The one biggest threat to religion today may be the Internet. With a few clicks one can pull up all the dirt on any religion they want. So now when a Mormon, JW or some other fundie gives you their literature instead of being sucked into their way of thinking on subsequent visits, people can go to their computer and find enough dirt about them to scare them away from going any further.

But, even then, some people will fall for the pitch. I've talked to people who don't understand why people "hate" JWs. They say that JWs are good, honest people who are trying to serve God the best way they know how. And as a group of followers, that's mostly true. But what the un-initiated doesn't know is that the leadership of the religion is corrupt and sinister. Well meaning people, looking for a religion and willing to accept things at face value will still be swept up by certain religions like the JWs or Mormons.

The religion may change, but it will continue to exist. In 30 years they will have been able to make enough minor changes that the JWs of 2035 will be completely different, just as the JWs of today are completely different than the JWs of the 1970s and the JWs of the 1970s are completely different than the JWs of the 1930s.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

No. I believe it will change a heck of a lot in the next 50 yrs or so but it will stick around because people seem to be drawn to different religions for different reasons.

Oh and about that JWs not having kids crack....nobody thinks that way anymore because the end hasnt come.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Apocalyptic cults always find new members who are unaware of previous prophetic utterances from the elite in prominent positions.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I don't think it will actually end - it may change and adapt - maybe even beyond its current recognised form so that it might be the same in name only, but I don't think it will completely cease to exist.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Can anyone think of a large cult that just suddenly died out - to serve as a "prophetic type" of the demise of Watchtowerism?

I can only think of a few right now - funny how all of these seem to have some parallel to Witness Land today:

How about the Knights Templar - Finally wiped out by jealous governments after their usefulness had passed.

How about the Shakers - just withered away because they had no children and no new converts were willing to do without sex.

How about the PTL (I mean Jim and Tammy) - got found out for massive corruption and fraud; including a little Beth Sarim for dogs no less.

I don't think it is at all likely that WT goes away in total, but they will certainly have to change eventually on 1914 and the 144,000. That may be the big test as so much has hung on that stupid chronology for so long.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Do you honestly think the Witness religion will end?

Yes, at Jesus' Second Coming.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Something that often seems to be overlooked on these threads is that sustaining a worldwide organization of the scale the WTS operates on is not an inexpensive enterprise. It isn't enough to find more small clusters of humans untainted by the Internet, they have to find people who are willing and able to contribute in order to sustain themselves long term. THIS is what is killing them. Rather quickly, it seems. People have to earnestly believe in order to voluntarily contribute to the cause.

I'd like to sample a few nations: USA (and protectorates), Brazil, Mexico, UK, Canada, Italy, South Africa, Australia, France, Japan, Germany...what do these nations have in common as it relates to JWs?

• These nations collectively represent the bulk of JW publishers in the world.
    • These nations are historically the leading contributors of funds to the worldwide work.
    • These nations are wired to the Internet.
    • The Internet is inextricably integrated into the daily lives of many citizens of these nations.
    • The contributions are dropping drastically in these nations (and many others that have readily available Internet access) despite reported slight increases in active publishers in many of these.

The conclusion I draw is, while some may be staying in for family or friends so they can continue to converse freely, it is an empty presence and a non-contributing presence. Such a presence does not help build an organization, it severely weakens an organization.

If all those whose questions have gone unanswered would change nothing at all beyond (1) not allowing their vehicle to be used for field service, (2) not assisting with cleaning activities at the Kingdom Halls, and (3) not contributing one red cent for anything, this organization would crumble in no time at all.

I believe many have made this choice already. I believe many more are making this choice every day. Nothing short of abject apology and full disclosure will satisfy some of those who made this choice, and I do not believe this organization will EVER provide that. Pride will eventually cause this organization to disappear, as the world finally disfellowships this twisted pseudo-Christian cult from amongst itself. They will not yield, they will buck against the pressures. At least...I hope they will not yield. That which does not yield will be broken, so the pine snaps in two and the willow survives.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• kid-A
    kid-A

I used to think so, now I dont. One way or another, they will survive if for no other reason that the dubs will accept ANYTHING the GB tells them as "new light" or "revealed truth".

I mean, consider how much they have changed since the days of Russell and Rutherford, barely even recognizable. The GB has flip-flopped on literally hundreds of positions and each time managed to save their bony old asses. I think they will just become extremely "diluted", "Jehovahs Witnesses Light" if you will.

Having said that, they will continue to shrink in Europe, North America and Australia, while expanding in the third world. This will keep them alive financially, while they continue to dilute their theology in order to maintain at least a "core" of diehard believers in the States and Canada.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

The largest appeal of the JW's is also their biggest problem, and that is the seeming instant gratification they offer. Jehovah's Witnesses are not in it for the long haul. New adherants join because they believe they will have paradise any day now. The Watchtower offers people what they cannot have in this system: a fine home, good health, and peace. If you trace the rise and fall of JW members, you will notice that it parallels world conditions, i.e. when the economy is crappy, JW's do well; when the economy is good, membership slacks off.

Up till now, the Society has been able hide it's flawed past, while presenting itself as infallible. With the advent of global access to the internet, the Watchtower's strict control of information to it's members is slipping. Perhaps this will eventually lead to their downfall, but I doubt it. If there is one common thread throughout history, it is the stupidity and gullibility of mankind. When desperate enough, we are willing to suspend our common sense and logical reasoning in exchange for a hope of better days. That is the root of JW psychology, and it is why cults like them will always be with mankind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit