Has this happened to you?? Unfair compensation practices

by littlerockguy 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

It's definately a good idea to see if you can have your pay bumped up. After all, if you are given the responsibility of being a lead or manager with extra responsibility, it seems reasonable to be given a little more pay for a little more responsibility.

Here are my questions:

1. When you say you are the lead, is this officially recognized in your title? Sometimes companies will rely on employees to take a lead, but don't always give the title and extra pay along with it. Sometimes it is blatant, and other times an honest oversight. If you don't have the "official" title that goes along with the responsibilities, you need to request an official promotion, along with a bump in pay. If they refuse, but expect you to still be responsible for lead duties, it probably is the time to start looking for something new.

2. Does this new person have more experience than you and a degree? I wasn't really sure of that. I agree if you are a manager or a lead, you should have at least a little more than your subordinates. However, sometimes employers look at what experience a new person is bringing to the table, and overlook the experience they already have there when determining what to pay new hires.

A lot of larger corporations nowadays have set titles and pay scale that corresponds with a person's duties. That helps avoid these kinds of issues.

Good luck..by the way...I have said it before, and will probably say it again: www.indeed.com is a great site to search multiple job postings on job boards, corporate and other sites.

PS...Minister: A lot of CEOs are worth the money they get. Let's not judge all of them based on some of the bad apples. A CEO is a meaningful position in most companies, and the decisions they make can save or end the jobs of the rank and file worker. That's a lot of responsibility.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy
    When you say you are the lead, is this officially recognized in your title?

Yes. That is what is on my badge. When I got the job, my boss told me the staff under me were my employees. Did some who are paid more than me have a degree? No.

Carmel:

Don't even get me started on student loans and grants. Been there, done that and I ended up paying back the loans, plus interest, while working for minimum wage.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

It's time to jump ship. Look for a new job in Dallas, or tell your boss you have a standing job offer and he needs to match it.

• Forscher
    Forscher

My brother is an RN.
    He just finished his ASN last year and is already getting paid well above what you get paid. Added to that, the hospital he works for is paying off his student loans. They are also adjusting his work schedule so that he can pursue his BSN while working. It don't get much better than that! But, guess what? The shortage for nurses at all levels is projected to get even worse. So the pay and benefits is just going to keep on going up.
    One of the reasons for that is that colleges and universities are not willing to pay Nursing Instructors what the market makes them worth. So the number of Nurses who are willing to teach is going down.
    Those programs are somewhat hard to get into and competetive. But it is something to think about. I'd do it myself. But a health problem I have is in the way.
    Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit