Has this happened to you?? Unfair compensation practices

by littlerockguy 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I interviewed and hired someone this week to fill a position in my department. Then I am going to have to fill two more positions in my dept. I emailed HR and told them to process the paperwork. HR got back and gave me a quote for one that I recently hired and their quote was- with 9 years experience the max they still start you out is $13.58 and that is 30 cents more than what I am making and she is going to be my employee!! (wages are extremely low here in the South). She basically worked in an allergy clinic. The field is medical transcription. I guess my 7 years experience doing everything medical specialty under the sun didn't impress them since I only got $11.37 to start out when I came onboard here. I have been in my team leader position almost 3 years and I make $13.28 an hour. One person on my staff makes 13.68 and another one makes $14.14 an hour. The last team leader who left here was making $14.77 an hour. I voiced my concern about it to my boss last week but don't know if anything will be done about it and if things are not adjusted soon, Im brushing up my resume and making my exit strategy. However I have plans for May. Im going to spend the first weekend in Dallas (for the apostafest) and Jesper is coming to visit on the 10th of May and going to be staying a week so I do not want to interrupt those plans. I will just play the game and let it ride for a while. One of the main reasons for taking the position is that I do not have a degree and it is so competitive and since I do not have one yet, I have to gain as much experience as any opportunity allows to make my work history/record look impressive, however I can't take this abuse. The more I think about it, it more it makes me sick!!!! Just needed to vent this morning!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Best of luck to you, LRG, hope they make it right for you.

Sherry

• jstalin
    jstalin

Do you have a degree? If not, have you considered going to school part time and getting one?

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Right now Im climbing out of a hole and trying to keep myself above water financially at the same time. I dont have the time or money to finish up my undergraduate studies. I live alone and thus there is only one income in my household. Mine. With that in mind, being single and living alone is costly if you are self reliant. I have to take out extra insurance (short term disability) just in case something happens to me and I cant work for a while. I have to cover all my bases.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

I'm sorry LRG... I hope everything works out for you. Just stick in it until you're done with your plans :). And then see if you can find something better! I miss talking with you! Have a great day hon.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Cheer up!

USA Today ran an article today that discussed how many US CEO's earn more than $100,000,000 per year even as meaningful employment in this nation is outsourced and GM goes into bankruptcy. (That's one hundred MILLION dollarooskies)

Expect that to be trickling down any day now like manna from heaven.

• manicmama
    manicmama

How about without being too aggressive or confrontational request a conference with your supervisor and explain what you have done for the company, your goals and current projects and what you feel you bring to your position and your benefit to the company. Obviously if you do hiring they place a degree of trust in you. Thus, these are the reasons you feel that you deserve a raise without ever mentioning the lowers being hired on at a higher wage than you are currently earning. If they play ball then you know it's a company worth continueing on, if not prepare an update to the resume.

MM

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi LRG,

Your boss should bring your wages at least to the level of your subordinates. At my company, for supervisors of hourly workers, the differential is a minimum of 15%. Maybe you could jobhunt while in Dallas?

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

littlerockguy: the unfortunate thing about working at a company for a number of years is that over time the job market tends to rise in terms of pay which allows people to negotiate more money as a new hire but rarely do companies adjust tenured workers salaries based on current market. once you accept your offer and begin employment you then usually receive annual increases which right now on average are around 3 to 4%. Also, if the type of work you do is not significantly different than the work of the other member's of your team your management is probably less likely to provide you a substantial differential in pay. You might want to think about looking for a new job and negotiating a higher salary.

• Carmel
    Carmel

student loans and govt grants can get you where you want to be in a few years. go for it

carm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit