Looking for some guidance from those who have been there!

by disowned&alone 18 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Brigido
    Brigido

Welcome to the Forum D & A. Believe you me, all of us have been through this. It isn't easy at times but give yourself the credit for the strength that you have. You will find much support here. What always helps me deal with the whole "shunning" issue when dealing with family is this: As much as the JW's hate to admit it, their "love" for you is mearly conditional. As long as you go to the Meetings you are in. The minute you stop, so does their affection. And we ask, can this truly be love? Can this be the Christian attitude of putting on the "new personality"? I think not. So do not yeild, keep moving forward, you will find that with time it gets easier. Again, welcome.

ESBrigido

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome. I have to say that I am incredibly more happy than as a JW, and feel my life is perfect now, apart from the effects of being shunned by family.

The only way I could move on is to study the WTS doctrine. Once studied without the mindless blinkers I came to realise how incredibly wrong it is. EVERY unique teaching they have is wrong. I have known plenty that have left the org but still assume some of it is correct. Within a couple of hours of being shown where to look they instantly can see through it. It is just a matter of understanding the cult nature of how they teach.

Check out www.jwfacts.com for a discussion on why some of the main doctrines are incorrect.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Welcome. There are lots of us who are much happier since leaving. Time and educating yourself will help you. Spirituality is a journey of ever changing scenery. Faith is a journey, not a destiny. Try reading books on Near Death Experiences and death bed visions. Closer to the Light by Melvin Morse MD will help you with the heaven part.It will make you feel much better. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804108323/102-9268555-7132942?v=glance&n=283155

As for hell: why would you want to believe in hell? Hell, as most churches teach it (though not all)is a teaching designed to scare you and then to control you.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Yes. Welcome. Your best deprogramming is here. I went through the same thing. It is taking a while. I served in Bethel and served as an Elder then I really got the truth a while back. The best thing was that I was not alone as the ORG wants you to think. You are in great company.

WAC

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

D & A -

Post again when you're able.

-Aude.

• anewme
    anewme

Disowned and Alone, my heart goes out to you. I think it is disgraceful your family threw you out just because you no longer wished to go to meetings etc.

Some Christians they are!!!!!

Wow you poor thing! The best advice I can give you would be to forget them completely for awhile and concentrate on yourself and your own happiness.

And yes, a deprogrammer would facilitate a more complete recovery.

I too still defend witness teachings in my thoughts when I hear other's beliefs. Its hard not to.

You are an orphan in this world and that is very hard. Make friends and make your life as successful as possible.

And of course, post here!

Welcome!

Anewme

• south african beef
    south african beef

Welcome,welcome,welcome!

My parents and brother haven't spoken to me for 4 years - it is hard but I truly believe the greatest loss is theirs, not mine.

In a way I'm glad they don't contact me - my wife (Bubble) was disfellowshipped at the same time as me and her mother and sister who are both Witnesses do occassionally speak to her or meet for lunch. However they ALWAYS turn the conversation round to asking when is she going to come back, that they and the congregation miss her - she has to make excuses every year as to why she didn't attend the memorial. I obviously dont have to put up with that.

I can honestly say that I have not been happier in my whole life than I am now.

My best wishes go out to you.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Greetings and welcome to the forum D&A!
    Forgive me for stating the obvious, but your post tells me that you have not formulated a personal belief system to replace the old one. That is understandable for several reasons. One is that you were thrown out of the house at 18 and surviving was probably your top priortity for the last 8 years. Now that your priorities are begining to change, you are starting notice the lack I mentioned. The second reason you've probably not figured out just what to believe now is likely that your time as a child in the WTBTS probably turned you off to the idea of the study that will be required.
    And that is what you need to do. It is time to start doing some research of your own into what to believe. That way you will be able to say what YOU believe, rather then what Jehovah's Witnesses believe. Take different teachings on the basics you learned as a child. Research them, read from several different perspectives, and read critically. By reading critically I mean not taking any particular writer's word for it just because they have a long list of titles after their name proclaiming their authority. Make each side PROVE it's case to you. Weigh the evidence for each side before reaching a final conclusion on the question.
    It's alot of work, I know, I am in the process of doing that myself. But you have alot of more time than I do since I am in my fifties, so you have the time to do it right. If on some issues you find your former cult to be correct, don't be afraid to believe it. Teaching a bit or two of truth is the best way for a cult to recruit members and grow! The important thing is to do like the guy on CSI and "follow the evidence". That will lead you where you ought to go.
    I look forward to seeing you around1
    Forscher

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I have heard alot of former cult members say that reading Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan is a good way to understand the mind job they did on you. Once you understand the methods, it helps to free you from the remaining thought patterns of the cult.

CYP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit