The sad death of Gene Pitney

by BluesBrother 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Cannot say that I was a big fan of his style of music, but the man was a legend. He wrote some stuff too. He was a trouper, touring to the last

R.I.P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4878926.stm

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Years ago he use to be quite popular. When it's my time to go, that's not a bad way at all.....

• greendawn
    greendawn

His song "something's gotten hold of my heart" is one of my 1960's favourite.

He died rather young at the age of 65 as most ppl today make it to their mid seventies and it must have been a heart attack to come so suddenly.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I'm trying to find out if it was Gene Pitney who sang "runaway" - as per the tv mini series crime story.

He had a great voice and 65 is too young to go .. aging unc

altalt

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I always liked Gene Pitney in the 1960's. I would put him in the same category as Roy Orbison with the very distinct voices that they had.

As far as the song runaway........Dell Shannon recorded the song Runaway in the very early 1960's.

Not sure if that is the one you are refering too.

HappyDad

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Thanks Happy Dad - yes Del Shannon's Runaway is what I'm refering too (I'm seperated from my music unclebruce ps: that's a big wrap likening Genes voice to Lucky Wilbury's .. interesting.

• gumby
    gumby

Del Shannon commited suicide years ago .He only did 'Runaway', and 'Hats off to Larry' sadly.

Gene Pitneys "Only love can break a Heart" was my favorite of his. He also did Liberty Valance

Gumoldiebuff

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

I liked "Town Without Pity" Gene Pitney had a great voice.

• juni
    juni

Boy does this age me.

" and only love can mend it again......"

"Who Shot Liberty Valance" ? - Pitney

Juni

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I liked "Town Without Pity" Gene Pitney had a great voice.

I also liked that song, very soulful and moving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit