The sad death of Gene Pitney

by BluesBrother 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

i'm another gene pitney fan...liked "24 hours from tulsa" a lot. a few years ago i ran across some of his albums in italian, it seems that through out his career, when he released an album in english he also released it in italian..."liberty valance" in italian really kicks.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you for posting this. I didn't know.

I loved Town Without Pity. It was very nicely immortalized in the movie Hair Spray!(you should watch it, Blues Brother) But, I'm old enough to remember Gene when his songs were new, though I was a tiny child. I liked Liberty Valance and Baby, The Rain Must Fall.

You know, come to think of it, Town Without Pity could easily be about the borg and "apostates", in a symbolic way.

Town Without Pity

by Gene Pitney.

When you're young and so in love as we
    And bewildered by the world we see
    Why do people hurt us so
    Only those in love would know
    What a town without pity can do

People talk about how bad we are
    Ours is not an easy age
    We're like tigers in a cage
    The young have problems, many problems
    We need an understanding heart
    Why don't they help us, try and help us
    Before this clay and granite planet falls apart

Take these eager lips and hold me fast
    I'm afraid this kind of joy can't last
    How can we keep love alive
    How can anything survive
    When these little minds tear you in two

How can we keep love alive
    How can anything survive
    When these little minds tear you in two

No, it isn't very pretty what a town without pity

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I forgot about It Hurts To Be In Love. When it comes on the radio in my car, I can't help but grin and sing along. It makes me feel like a kid again.

• blsrose
    blsrose

reading those lyrics, wow! you are right, paints a sad picture of the attitude some witnesses, it truely is a Town Without pity!!

As a child of the 60's, it saddens me to learn of his death!! what a voice!! Our local oldies radio station recently switched the oldie catagory from 50's and 60's to 70's and 80's, i was busy being a witness and raising my family and cannot relate with that era, I miss hearing Gene, Roy, 4-seasons,Bobby Vinton, can't name them all, but it was a great time to be a teen

You will be missed, Gene!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit