While the cat's away....................

by HAL9000 21 Replies latest jw friends

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

It’s Tuesday night and the

Before anything else, I would like to thank all those who have so freely passed on their experiences and knowledge – it has helped me in recent years more than I can possibly (and succinctly) express. Before coming to this forum, I spent some significant time trawling through Kent Steinhaug’s excellent site – to him and the members of that board I owe a great deal for providing much needed information at a critical time.

I have been encouraged, touched and at times dismayed by your words and experiences – I appreciate the openness of this forum’s members.

OK, who am I?

Firstly, I am not a JW – never have been and never will be. I was brought up in the Church of England but left at about 18 due to hypocrisy, self interest and a total dissatisfaction with organised religion. I have not changed my opinion on this matter in the ensuing years.

Secondly, my wife is studying with the JW’s – has been doing so since 2000. Not baptised, not publishing, but going to the and the Public talk. Oh yes, a weekly “Babble Study”. For various reasons she has been searching for answers to life, the universe and everything. There have been many issues along the way which have required consultation with the cleaner, the window washer or the hedge trimmer to clarify: I am now well aware of Theocratic Warfare so I take the conveyed “doctorines” with more than the proverbial grain of salt, especially when it comes to blood matters. In some ways, I am prepared for her to go along this path (for various reasons) but I am certain that if baptised she will end up Dfed or DAed. I will be there to pick up the pieces if that happens.

While I do not actively discourage her involvement – which would probably be a futile exercise at this time – I am well aware of some of the “spiritual food” dealt out. While I can maintain my composure, it is, without doubt some of the most puerile drivel that I have had the misfortune of encountering. I am afraid that I also take great exception to the illustrative material – I am not 8 years old and do not appreciate this type of infantile illustration. Pure unadulterated crap.

I do take exception to misrepresentation, lies and distortion – I have seen plenty of it over the past few years in JW material, but can appreciate how a susceptible individual can be totally sucked in. By the way, if I hear they are “lovely people” again I will scream.

Where I hope to comment in the future is on the pseudo science that the BOrg dabble in. I have a strong science background and take particular exception to this type of misrepresentation.

I do seem to have strayed from my original line of thought – sorry about the dump, but I do need to let this loose.

Regards,

HAL

PS I have limitations in my ability to logon so responses may be delayed.... and don’t read too much into my alias or the avatar - I am a science fiction tragic and after all, HAL (in Kubrick’s 2001) was a victim of his programming…..

• Honesty
    Honesty
    In some ways, I am prepared for her to go along this path (for various reasons) but I am certain that if baptised she will end up Dfed or DAed. I will be there to pick up the pieces if that happens.

That, my friend will probably the greatest act of your love towards her. BTW, DF/DA happens to over 30% of baptised JW's.

• luna2
    luna2

Hi, HAL. Welcome to the board

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Welcome to the forum HAL.

DB74

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Welcome to JWD Hal.

A good choice of name in view of the world we're discussing. My advice would be that if there is any way to stop your wife taking the plunge do so (a break away from the induction process is best - queensland holidays are good for clearing the head ).

Kent's "Watchtower Observer" site is great and no doubt you've been to Randy's "Watchers of the Watchtower World" too. Have you shown any of this info to Mrs Hal? (excuse me if that's too personal).

cheers, unclebruce

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

Welcome Hal!

I am really excited to have someone well versed in science on board. I never showed much interest in science until recently when I've had to face those hard questions about life/god and had to look at other options like science.

you sound like a wonderful man to stick with your wife through this. we all know too well the "lovely people" comments!

-freedomlover

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Welcome Hal.., I remember the film well. It is still Tuesday afternoon here, and my wife will go to her book study tonight..

Glad you joined us.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Hal,

When I was just a young computer, my programmer taught me to sing a little song...

Wait, was that a "kingdom melody" from my bible study conductor?

Welcome here - I'll bet you can play one heck of a game of chess!

James

• ballistic
    ballistic

HAL, well done on the LINGO, you've really picked up a lot of our speech there! You are almost one of us!

• ballistic
    ballistic

by the way, I'm also a big fan of the film. It changed science fiction writing and was really the start of modern science fiction film making. I love the use of The Blue Danube and Also sprach zarathustra and the other bits and pieces.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit