any one here gay

by alexjen 41 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I also thought it was interesting how people immediately identified themselves as either straight or gay. But as it was pointed out, the question was asked so I shall answer it. Hetro.

Because I was raised in/around/inside/outside/upside/down the "truth" I never knew anyone who was openly gay. I remember when my family went to NY for our semi-annual Bethel mecca, I saw some guys kissing and my mother covered my eyes. But then years later I went to live just outside of Melbourne, Australia. It was a Hall that was very progressive. There was a MS there that I suspected was gay. I asked a friend and she said that they all suspected that he was but that he never "came out" to them so they did not care. What I did notice was that the cong was very protective of him. I think it was probably like the U.S. Military's Not Ask Don't Tell Policy. He ultimately moved away and faded into the back ground. Many of my friends still keep in touch with him. From what I understand, they don't push religion on him and I get the impression that he does not discuss his lifestyle with them. They get together to celebrate each other.

Like someone else has already mentioned, JW's have a hang up with sex in general. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    I also thought it was interesting how people immediately identified themselves as either straight or gay.

Why is this suprising. Surely anyone who is sure of their sexuality would want to answer this obvious question?

• hamilton_russell
    hamilton_russell

hey,

I'm gay, have been all my life, and i know what you're going through.

I was brought up in the 'truth' also, and realised at about 15 years of age that i was gay. i found it really hard coming to terms with it, after what we were taught at the meetings.

I managed to leave home at 18 and move to London and made a new life for myself. I came out to my parents a few years later, after getting really down from living a double life. Thats the thing that got me, the leading a double life with my parents not knowing. Thought they would go mental about it, and although they weren;t happy, they said they wanted me to be happy. Kinda cool coming from a P.O really!!!!

I've finally met the man of my dreams and am getting a Civil Partnership in June.

Anyway, i guess i'm trying to say that there is hope. It may take a while to get yourself in a position to leave the Borg, but its worth the wait. Just don;t do anything to hastily in the mean time. Unless you already have, don't get baptised!!!!

If you wanna email me sometime and chat please do.

Jonno

[email protected]

• jstalin
    jstalin

Welcome to the board hamilton.

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

Hello to both of the new members in this thread and welcome to this thread.

One thing that I just happened to think about was that there is a wonderful group for gay and lesbian J.W.s and ex J.W.s and of course I can NOT think of the name of it. I have 2 very close lesbian friends-yes, they were my friends when I was in the " truth". That place has helped me to understand alternative sexuality and made sense of so many aspects of it.

Annother thing I wanted to mention is to be careful about your computer history as people can go on your pc and check out where you spend time. You might be 'outed' before you are ready. So, clean your history after each session and all of your 'sent emails' and any emails that you want to keep you might want to save in a password protected folder.

Hugs to you both

Mary

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Hi! Welcome to the forum. It is brave of you to stand up for yourself at such a young age. But beware of the implications involved. However, being honest about oneself will ease many burdens... I did not have the guts to come out until the age of 41 - after years of being a baptized JW, elder etc. And having a family, kids etc. You´ll be free to create your own life according to your orientation. (I do not regret my life though, but finally I found out I had to accept what I am). Also, feel free to e-mail me: [email protected] that goes for others, gays and non-gays alike. I also like to chat from time to time. Have a nice day!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Hi, I am also gay (to answer your question), I too waited to come out until late in life. Tried like hell to be straight. Didn't take. Been out now for almost 7 years, have a wonderful partner and a good life.

You have a couple of years left at home with parents. Unless you are very sure of their reaction to your truth, please be wary of coming out. I know so many who ended up on the street after their parents kicked them out of the house when they told them they were gay. Of course there are more places for gay kids to go to for help nowdays if that happens. My brother was kicked out of the house, but then he waited to tell them until he was 18, so they packed him out and moved him to a city 150 miles away. Then no one would talk about him except in whispers.

Maybe thats why I tried so hard to be straight!

Good luck to you,

Sherry

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Why is this suprising.

Not "surprising," but "interesting." It seems as if straight people must get out first thing that they're not gay, and then they seem to indicate that that means they shouldn't be posting on this thread? Or, how do you read the "but.?" FWIW, I am as straight as an arrow, and I would like to welcome the new posters.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sorry John Doe - you lost me.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Welcome, alexjen, & make yourself at home!

Cabin in the woods noted:

One thing that I just happened to think about was that there is a wonderful group for gay and lesbian J.W.s and ex J.W.s and of course I can NOT think of the name of it.
    acbgroup
    – Click on the blue text and join up :)

gentlyferal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit