JW's and sickness

by Honesty 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

Did it seem to you that a lot of congregations had more than the usual sick people in them when compared with their worldly neighbors?

Could it be a common problem among JW's?

Do you think it may be mold?

Could it be the Kool-Aid they are drinking that is provided by the Faithful Discreet Slave has something to do with their physical illnesses?

• ferret
    ferret

It could be that they are being fed poison on a regular basis.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    It could be that they are being fed poison on a regular basis.

Ain't that the truth! That and the fact that there are no windows on the buildings for good air circulation. Those halls will make people phobic!

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yup! Spiritual food poisoning.

• merfi
    merfi

I agree with the spiritual food poisoning...

Also -- on a somewhat more serious note -- picking up lotsa germs cleaning all those toilets and emptying booger rags out of the trash...?

It was very noticed in my old KH that there was often a LOT missing for sickness of some sort.

~merfi

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

If you think about it these people are put under such emotional strain. Do more do more do more... you are not good enough constantly reinforced upon them. It must make them so drained and run down... Its no wonder they think or do have some pretty dibilitating illnesses.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

when you are in a group where "do more" is a constant demand the only excuse to lighten up the load is to be sick.

Constant stress is a major component of so many stress-related illnesses.

I've been out for over 20 years. The sickest group of people I have ever met were Jws - especially the elders wives.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

That's right, Lady Lee. The only way I could get out of meetings was to play sick. When I got older, my parents would leave me home by myself, and I'd turn on the TV as soon as they left for the meeting. That was sweet!

I think there are two categories: The truly sick, because they are so run down and the Hall is poorly ventilated, so viruses spread, and:

The pretend sick, to catch their breath from the whirlwind of Kinkdumb activities. Either way, it was almost trendy to be suffering from the latest thing "going around."

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

They do seem to be uncommonly ill. As Lady Lee already pointed out, especially the elders wives and I noticed alot of the regular pioneers. The most common illness was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and/or Fibromyalgia. Also, there were alot of them (not just elders wives and RP) on antidepressants and/or antianxiety medications. And, if those who weren't on medication, probably should have been. (Myself included. ha ha)

Loruhamah

• James Free
    James Free
    The most common illness was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

This was the popular choice in the UK. It is not a common illness, but somehow every congregation seemed to have at least one or two sufferers. Now when you realize that blindness was statistically more prevalent, there should have been even more blind Witnesses (I mean literal - there are plenty of symbolically blind.)

The real reason was obvious - their symptoms were psychological - they needed an excuse to miss meetings etc. and they needed to believe it too, so that the guilt that others wanted to pile on them wouldn't be overwhelming.

Likewise, there are many thousands of depressed Witnesses, and thousands who suffer from severe loneliness despite regular 'association' at the meetings - because friendships there are SO SHALLOW!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit